Rambler American engine conversion #2 - Page 11 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2010, 08:12 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,073 Times in 957 Posts
This is the damnedest thing. Ed (AmericanLT1) doesn't remember seeing a crack like this when he cut out his floor. I just can't believe it is supposed to be there. I wonder if yours was simply filled with something by the previous owner?

I am thinking it needs to be welded up be it original or not. But I am going to run over to the AMC forum and just for fun see what they say. It is a mystery that is for sure. Be it original or not (I am with you it looks like it is MADE that way) I want some answer as to why in the hell would it be there!

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2010, 09:27 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

I've torn several of these apart. There shouldn't be a weld at the top, it's just an open "louver" type cut. There was originally a piece of heavy felt paper or similar material (about 1/16" thick) about 1.5-2.0" wide laid over the "louver" under the carpet.

I don't know exactly what the thing was for -- maybe pressure/stress relief in the floor? May have been to relieve vibrations in the floor.

There is a story about some famous British engineer that Hudson (or was it Nash?) hired in the early 50s to find a vibration problem. He took a ride in the prototype car and told them the floors needed more bracing in the back, they were vibration. The factory engineers didn't believe it -- couldn't be the rear floors resonating! So he told them to take the car to the shop and cut the rear floors out. They didn't want to, but the bosses said they were paying that guy big bucks and to do what he wanted. He then told one of the factory engineers to take a drive in it. When he came back the factory engineer was amazed -- vibration was gone! So the Brit told them to weld the floors back in with extra bracing. No floors, no vibration! Could be similar.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,073 Times in 957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by farna
I've torn several of these apart. There shouldn't be a weld at the top, it's just an open "louver" type cut. There was originally a piece of heavy felt paper or similar material (about 1/16" thick) about 1.5-2.0" wide laid over the "louver" under the carpet.

I don't know exactly what the thing was for -- maybe pressure/stress relief in the floor? May have been to relieve vibrations in the floor.

There is a story about some famous British engineer that Hudson (or was it Nash?) hired in the early 50s to find a vibration problem. He took a ride in the prototype car and told them the floors needed more bracing in the back, they were vibration. The factory engineers didn't believe it -- couldn't be the rear floors resonating! So he told them to take the car to the shop and cut the rear floors out. They didn't want to, but the bosses said they were paying that guy big bucks and to do what he wanted. He then told one of the factory engineers to take a drive in it. When he came back the factory engineer was amazed -- vibration was gone! So the Brit told them to weld the floors back in with extra bracing. No floors, no vibration! Could be similar.
HOLY CRAP! Another confirmation that it is supposed to be there! This is so wild, I am rocking and rolling thru this car I have to get it done before the rains start so this is good news. I am going this car in the drive way without any protection so I have to keep going to get it done. Thanks so much guys!

Brian
Old 12-21-2010, 12:56 AM

Last photo:

Made the Mooneyes Christmas show....Forgot my camera so I lifted these pics off the net

I rejetted the Weber so throttle response is soooo much better now....This thing is a blast to drive! Could have sold it about 10 times now Next to do is a smaller blower pulley or larger crank pulley for some more boost...right now it is not spinning the blower enough...but its still fun

Old 12-21-2010, 11:36 AM

Looks great! I bet it is fun. That chassis is really stiff and isn't hard to make handle well. You need to order stiffer progressive rate springs for the front (I used 12% stiffer, but then I still had the old 196 OHV, which weighs 500+ lbs) and rear. For the rear I just used a pair of bolt-on overload springs, the type that just bolts to the rear part of the spring. Those changes and some gas shocks (had to make an adapter for the front ones) made the car handle like a roller skate! If I'd had the power to match the handling I'd still be driving that little thing!
Old 12-21-2010, 02:11 PM

Last photo:

it does ok....its no 911 thats for sure..lol.
The wagon should do alot better.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:20 PM

Last photo:

I just got an email from a guy telling me the Rambler ( or at least an engine shot ) is in this months Car Craft
I havent seen it yet but Im heading to the bookstore right now!
Old 02-04-2011, 09:10 PM
More for Less Racer

Cool, looks good!

What happened to the Torq-thrust II wheel idea from the inital picture in this thread?? I thought that was an awesome look(Better than the steelies IMO).
Old 02-04-2011, 09:38 PM

Last photo:

Actually I am working on changing the rims and tires and a drop...within a month for sure..

I had a set back..we were installing new front brakes and wheel cylinders when I walked to the rear of the car and noticed some paint damage under the fuel filler door! Looks like fuel?? ran out the side and lifted the paint! The car was sitting for a couple weeks so I didnt catch it until that night. I have to assume its fuel but I've never seen that before..so now it goes to the painter next week..I think I will just respray the whole car and clear coat. The paint is about 15 years old and had some scratches and nicks here and there . Maybe Martin Sr. can give some input about gasoline eating paint??
It was just super unleaded...sucks big time
Old 02-04-2011, 09:47 PM

Last photo:

Heres the damage.....

What the heck!
Old 02-04-2011, 10:34 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

Laquer paint/clear, maybe? I don't know paint AT ALL, but could this be possible?

The quad 4 looks awesome in there, great choice! They have a HUGE aftermarket, and can be made to perform very well. A cam swap in the future, maybe? The right cams with the blower could push you close to 350 hp +, as long as you can get the fuel into it. IIRC, I read about one in a mag quite some time back that was up around 600 hp, custom cams, fuel injection and forced induction. I am going to have to google and see if I can find the article.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:02 PM

Last photo:

Thanks! Actually the car runs good..revs up and has good power..I do have a larger crank pulley to install and that will up the boost..right now its pretty minimal..Its actually pretty balanced and a kick to drive. Just need to complete the little things and tidy it up a bit more.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:30 PM

I've never seen paint damaged by fuel like that. Of course it could be... maybe some fine scratches in the area let the fuel get under the paint? Hard to say... it should have been old Dulux enamel from the factory though. No telling what it was resprayed with, most likely a lacquer. 15 year old paint, so time to make it look good anyway! Get those good front springs and stiffen the rears as I posted, make it handle to match the power! No real need for a sway bar, you won't notice it unless in a VERY hard turn with the soft springs or stiffer ones (from experience!!). You WILL notice the stiffer front springs though, and progressive springs don't increase ride harshness at low speeds much.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:28 AM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

You made it into Car Craft, page 52 of the April 2011 issue! Congrats!
Old 02-09-2011, 10:26 AM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzoom
I just got an email from a guy telling me the Rambler ( or at least an engine shot ) is in this months Car Craft
I havent seen it yet but Im heading to the bookstore right now!
Wow don't I feel up to date now... I like the steelies though.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.