Rambler American engine conversion #2 - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2008, 05:01 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Measure out and watch the steering. Like Farna said..the accessories can get in the way. I am hopeing we do not have to cut the inner fenders on this one. People have put Chevy V6's in these but I have not seen one done up close to see the way it fits and what has to be cut or moved. I went with the quad 4 because of the narrow size and the intake and exhaust are up high. Besides it just looks cool. We have some plans for the quad 4 to make it a little different. The goal is to change over a Rambler American without blowing the entire car apart. We are continuing tomorrow so I should have more pics in a day or so.
Good Luck

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2008, 12:08 PM

Last journal entry: Body work
Last photo:

I have seen one here at a Good guys show with a ls1 motor in it and he had to remove some firewall but, it also had a mustang II front suspension. I have a 59 and went the tube chassis route. Should be interesting to see what problems you encounter with your swap.

Good luck.

Ed
Old 12-31-2008, 11:09 PM

Last photo:

We continued on the Rambler today..We degreased, cleaned up and resprayed the front suspension. Primered the quad 4 and sprayed it green. We plan to continue tomorrow or Friday. Heres some updated pics

Old 01-04-2009, 01:52 AM

Nice Rambler, I am surprised at the choice of the Quad 4. Just my opinion, but a 231 buick is compact, relaible and would easily fit in thhat engine compartment. Very good drivability with decent fuel mileage. The 225 buick v-6 version was used in many factory CJ5 jeeps from the 60-70's. The jeep Cj's also have very limited engine compartment space.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:30 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Stude, NOTHING easily fits in the little Rambler engine compartment except a straight six with an integral intake manifold. A small block or V-6 can be made to fit, but requires a bit of trimming of the inner fender panels, and exhaust is tight. The narrow V-6s are a better fit except for accessories. Get hot-rod (30s style) high/narrow accessory mounts and you're all set.

Ramzoom may have to trim the inner panel on one side for the Q4 to clear the intake. Not much needs to be trimmed, just the "hump" right above the upper control arm mounts. The hump is a leftover from the early 50s -- the unitbody is virtually the same from 50-55 (Nash Rambler) and 58-60. In 61 the outer panels and firewall changed, but the rest is the same as earlier models. This is the only car that ever dropped out of production from more than a year and was revived as a successful product -- with minimal changes.

When Ramzoom gets some engine bay photos you'll see just how tight it is! I hope he posts a photo with the original engine still in (but I think it's out already...), or at least with no engine before hanging the Q4 in and getting photos.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:01 AM

Last photo:

Here ya go....

Farna is right..the engine compartment is tight..The main problem is the steering components. If you cut the inner fenders/humps you gain some width up top but you still have to fit around the stock steering box and the front steering. The distance from the front steering to the firewall is very short. I looked up the Buick 231 v6 out of curiosity and found it is approx. 25" in length(if what I found was correct)..Quad 4's are 19.250 tall, 18 inches wide from oil filter to water pump intake. 21 inches from belhousing flange to front pulley. Makes all the difference unless you want to start cutting which is what we are trying to avoid. I actually like the Quad 4 looks..makes the engine interesting to look at and has a vintage look. When done she should put out around 200 hp which is plenty for a Rambler that weighs around 2475 lbs with stock drivetrain.
Thank you Studebaker for the suggestion about the v6..your right it is a very compact v6 and I appreciate any suggestions..but the Quad 4 made about the most sense of any modern engine for size, availability, power and looks.

Last edited by ramzoom; 01-08-2009 at 02:09 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:08 PM

Just to add to the "it doesn't fit" discussion regarding "V" motors--I recently mocked up an Olds 215 block (similar dimensions to the Buick V6) in a '60 American engine bay and.....surprise, it didn't fit. As others have stated, side clearances can probably be handled with some cutting, but the stock steering is the biggest problem.

Farna and Ram-- do you know if anyone has ever run a carbed 22R? I bought my American for an LS1/T56 swap, but am looking at a possible "temporary" motor after I set up the Mustang II. Just a thought at this point.

-Mark
Old 01-16-2009, 08:29 PM

Last photo:

Hi Mark,
There used to be a 58-60 American wagon near my home town that ran a Toyota 4 cyl. Because this was back in the late 80's I would figure it was a 22r. I never saw the engine compartment..just knew from word of mouth that that is what he ran in it.

Guys run 2.3 Fords as well..

Good luck,
Robert
Old 01-18-2009, 01:44 AM

BOY, looking at the engine compartment it is tight! What about a Ford 2300 four Cylinder, great little engine with a lot of after market parts available. They are a little tall, seems like it would fit, they actually have very good power for the CID, and they made millions of them with manual trans or auto's. .
Old 01-27-2009, 03:36 AM

Last photo:

Does your front bench recline to meet the rear seat and make a bed? My car is still in storage and I went to see it the other day, I didn't realize I had the split bench seat, never bothered paying attention because I was sure I was going to replace it with early Mustang buckets. I have been told if it is a split back bench seat, it also folds down into a bed. If this is true, I am definitely going to restore the bench and keep it, it is just too cool of an option to throw away. I didn't know that it had the option of reclining before I went to see it the other day so I didn't check it, the car is kinda far away from me, so I don't get as much time with it as I would like to.

Last edited by elliott; 01-27-2009 at 03:43 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:25 AM

Last photo:

Yes, the seat does recline all the way back. You can take naps at car shows
Old 01-27-2009, 09:32 AM

Last photo:

I picked this up for the Rambler......

Looks factory to me
Old 01-27-2009, 08:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzoom
Yes, the seat does recline all the way back. You can take naps at car shows
That is great news, could you tell me where the releases are that make it recline, so I can make sure it isn't frozen the next time I see the car?

Also, would you happen to have pictures of the seat folded down?

The more I learn about this car, the more I am glad I bought it, it was kind of an impulse buy. Though I wasn't happy to learn that I need a new windshield, after I cleaned all of the grime off of it, I found a bubble about the size of my thumb.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:15 PM

Last photo:

Release is on the side of the seat down by the floor from what I recall..You can still find windshields but they are getting tougher. It's the rear tailgate window on the wagon you dont want to have damaged or missing.
Any other questions about anything just PM me..I will help you with what I know and learned so far....
Old 01-27-2009, 10:50 PM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzoom
I picked this up for the Rambler......

Looks factory to me

MMMMMMM, yep it's factory alright..........

Looks like the one that was on top of our 3800 that was under the hood of our 92 Buick Park Ave, same color too
That motor was a rocketship ..joe

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.