Rambler American engine conversion #2 - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2009, 11:39 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

More parts coming this week...going through the muncie trans Sat..Eveything looked fine..If everything arrives on time we should have the motor in over the weekend........

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2009, 08:11 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

You putting a T-10 four speed in it? A five speed would suit the revvy Q4 better.

A V-8 or V-6 WILL fit in the Rambler without cutting. I have an old late 50's "Speed Mechanics" magazine with an article where a guy stuck a "Corvette V-8" (283) in a 54 Nash Rambler, which is nearly identical under the hood to the 58-63 American (inner fender panels and suspension are unchanged, firewall changed on the 61-63 American). They stuck the stock exhaust manifolds on backwards (switched side to side) and ran the exhaust from the front and under the suspension, I believe. that took care of clearance around the steering column. I take back the "no cutting" -- to get to spark plugs they took the front tires off and cut holes through the inner and outer walls of the engine bay. The holes were just big enough to get a socket through. It was that or pull the engine every time the plugs needed changing. Today that wouldn't be bad with a computer controlled engine and platinum plugs, but in the late 50s? You know, I need to look up that article. The humps may have been trimmed as described below... it's been a while since I looked at it.

I've put an early 2300 Ford in one. Had to cut the hump off on one side (left?) to clear the intake.

The "hump" I'm talking about is the bulge right above the suspension. You can't see the upper A-arm mounts in the photos, but the bulge has a ridge running down the center. It's easily visible in the first photo ramzoom posted showing the original engine in. Look to the left of the oil filter. Just below the ridge you can see the edge of a flange -- that's the top edge of the reinforcement for the suspension mount.

In the third pic you can see the angled front and rear of the bulge. The plate to the left of the air cleaner housing is the serial number plate. It's welded on. Many people trim the bulge all the way back to the edge of the fender, but you really just need to trim it back starting where it kicks out toward the engine and meets the vertical side just above the suspension. Look at the ridge -- it angles toward the engine then kicks out. That's the point I'm referring too. That will gain another 3" or so on each side. We had to cut one of those back to clear the intake on an early 2300 with a carb, which doesn't stick out as far as an EFI intake. Most fours are tall, but some of the EFI intakes stick way out from the engine -- further than trimming the hump will clear.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:38 PM

Last photo:

Hey Farna,
Yes a 5 speed would have been nice but this green coupe is pulling $ away from my rotary wagon project so we had the 4 speed laying around..it came out of a 68 SS 396 Chevelle so no worries there..the car had around 10k miles on it so we knew the trans was good just wanted to open it up to inspect first and reseal. I looked for a T5 out of a late 80's s-10 pickup but they were all around $350 for a used one and I just couldnt see spending the extra cash at this point. Like everyone else I am on a budget with this one and unfortunately its the wagons budget I thought about selling the muncie but it has had a broken ear that was rewelded so that hurts its value..so I know that quad 4 wont hurt that Muncie so in its going.. My parts for the quad 4 conversion did not arrive on time so we will have to go for next weekend to get that engine in. The V8 article sounds interesting..again I am trying not to shoehorn a motor in..besides I like the "being different" factor that the Quad 4 or rotary bring to the builds..
Talk to you later,
Robert
Old 02-11-2009, 02:29 AM

Last photo:

wow. i thought I was going to get lynched for wanting to put a different trans in my rambler!
Nice to see people thinking outside the square. Cool ride
Old 02-11-2009, 10:07 PM

Last photo:

Thanks,
No lynching here
Old 02-12-2009, 05:02 PM

You MIGHT get a good tongue thrashing if talking about something like this on one of the AMC boards, but you don't go to a Mustang board and not expect to get thrashed if you ask how to put an SBC in either! Here it's a different story. Hot rodders don't have much respect for keeping anything stock (some, but not much!), and don't mind mixing and matching parts as long as it's an upgrade and interesting.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:06 PM

Last photo:

Far more fun this way too...all about doing something different I reckon.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:37 PM

Last photo:

Do what you want its a Rambler...People flare fenders on Corvettes! Now that to me is wrong..but a Rambler..no one really cares that much..and if you run in to a Rambler purist that gets shook up..well........I told one last week what I was doing with my coupe and you could tell he was bothered by it....I thought it was kinda funny....Heres a pic of me when I go out in my Ramblers...

Just have fun with it...you might even be able to pick up some hot babes when your cruising in your Rambler......

Old 02-14-2009, 03:17 AM

Last photo:

PARTS CAME IN!

Bolted up the bellhousing and trans to mock things up and check placement of motor and clearances........Check out this fit..

A little tilt and the tailshaft slid down under the firewall and we were on our way

Right about now were feeling pretty good because the bellhousing and trans are actually fitting in the trans tunnel!

The dreaded steering box..We have clearance..The oil filter is the only thing down low near the steering box but we were clear

Pass. side where we will fab exhaust and have the water return pipe ran..

Plenty of room at front.....

Cleared tie rod!

Just mocking some things for the heck of it

Picked up a new Rebel Wire 20 circuit kit so we will be rewireing the car next..

Overall we are very happy with the fit of the Quad 4..Everything just seemed to be right and the Rambler didnt throw us a curve with any clearance issues. I am excited to get this car finished and see how she runs out..should be a peppy little car. Finally feels like were getting somewhere.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:38 PM
More for Less Racer

SWWWWEEEEETTTTTTT!!!! Looks almost as if it was designed to fit. So cool
Old 02-14-2009, 08:27 PM

Last photo:

Does there seem to be enough room if you wanted to run a 5 speed or an automatic?
Old 03-01-2009, 07:47 PM

There's plenty room for a five speed or auto in that body. In 58 the big cast iron Borg-Warner M-8 auto was available. A three speed with add-on overdrive was also used and was pretty long. The trans tunnel isn't very deep as the body sits so high... only protrudes 3-4" up into the floor.

ramzoom -- just make sure you put that upper brace back in! That's the main support for the front fenders. I see it cut out all the time, and sometimes left out. A bolt in mod will work, maybe make a tubular brace -- take a piece of steel 1" conduit and flatten each end in a vice, then drill and bolt to the stubs left from the brace. The engine originally went in (and came out!) from the bottom, that's why the brace is welded in. The fenders will get a bit loose without that brace, or something similar in its place. That Q4 sure does fit good! Do you have a stock intake? If you do, could you see if it would fit on the engine in the car? Sure would like a pic of that even if it doesn't fit!
Old 03-02-2009, 11:04 AM

Last photo:

Hey Farna,
You mean Rambler stock intake or Q4 stock intake? We are using the stock Q4 intake but going to modify it. We will be installing a new brace between the fenders after we get everything else done..Throw out bearing came in and floor mount clutch pedal so things are speeding up now. Plan to work on the car all day tomorrow. Started rewireing the car..Pulled out all the old wires and began running new stuff..I still am trying to get this car done in March..I will post some more pics soon.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:54 AM

Are you going to mount the engine via the suspension "crossmember" (or a more beefy substitute) or are you going to mount to the frame rails?

If you ever get around to the 5 speed, you might want to skip the S10 T5 and instead run a 26 spline V8 version with an S10 tailshaft (the shifter location on the F-body versions will just about hit the front bench seat, depending on how far back you place the motor). All of the non-V8 T5 ratios are really wide for your peaky motor and lightweight car. I haven't swapped the tailshaft on my conversion yet, but it looks to be pretty straightforward, there's even a detailed post on the HAMB.

Keep those pics coming!
Old 03-20-2009, 05:53 PM

I mean the stock Q4 intake. That "hump" on the left inner fender may get in the way. If the stock Q4 setup will fit with at least 1/2" of clearance WITHOUT removing that hump I'd sure like to know! That would make it a good swap candidate for that body. Right now the only thing that will fit without modifying the body is a Ford 200/250 six, the one with the intake cast onto the head. At least the 80s 250 uses an SBF bell bolt pattern, opening up some transmission possibilities. The 200 isn't really much more (if any) power than the old 196, though parts availability is much better.

chevsen -- the 58-63 American and all other pre 63 AMC/Rambler/Nash cars don't have the engine mounted to the suspension cross member. They use the old four point mount system with two on the front of the engine and two on the bell housing, with no trans support -- it just hangs off the bell. All others used a similar mounting system in the early 50s. You'd think the trans would need something under it, especially the very heavy early automatics like the Hydramatic and Borg-Warners (cast iron main bodies!!), but they didn't. Of course some of the bells were cast iron too -- probably had to be to support that weight! 56-62 big Ramblers actually have a suspension crossmember strong enough to support an engine if desired, but the pre 64 Americans don't -- they just have a stamped steel brace that helps steady the suspension.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.