Rambler American engine conversion #2 - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2009, 08:28 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hey Farna,
I will check that intake clearance next time I am at the shop..I am 99% sure it would go on with no cutting of the hump and have plenty of room.
I will be posting pics soon..got alot more done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2009, 11:35 PM

Last photo:

Some prgress......

O/T: The prez getting ready to take off..I was lucky to be feet away from the runway..got to see the 5 copters land and then the Prez hustling off into the front copter and taking off..We couldnt move from where we were for about an hour or so until secret service said it was ok. Not something you see everyday..I should have asked for a Rambler bailout
Old 03-24-2009, 07:26 AM

rambler

If Rambler had done as nice a job as you are they would not need a bailout-
car looks great! Jim
Old 03-24-2009, 07:38 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

The Q4 looks good in there! Now if the stock intake doesn't go over too far on the left side it should be a good swap without having to cut anything under the hood. I know that doesn't mean much to most here, but I'm thinking more about the Rambler guys who want to make a better driver without sacrificing the car -- leaving in a state that it could be returned to original if desired -- and those who just don't want to (or can't) do a lot of metal work. A little denting or trimming of the hump might be necessary, but maybe not.

I like the engine mounts in front. Seems like the front drive engine is easier to mount in the four point mount Rambler than it would be in a car with centered side mounts.

What rear axle is that, and what did it come from? Looks to be about the right width and not narrowed.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:09 AM

Last photo:

The rear end is a Maverick 8" 5 lug. It is absolutely perfect fit for the Rambler Americans. The stock Q4 intake should fit because it stays tight to the block away from the hump. Maybe a slight trim or push in of the hump..maybe.. One can run carbs as well..You would need to fab the intake to swoop away and up from the block..then you can run a 4 bbl. or a couple 2 bbl's like I originally intended. Again, any Rambler guys/gals in So. Cal want to convert anything on your Rambler Americans..let me kknow..

Old 03-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by farna
I know that doesn't mean much to most here, but I'm thinking more about the Rambler guys who want to make a better driver without sacrificing the car -- leaving in a state that it could be returned to original if desired.

I like the engine mounts in front. Seems like the front drive engine is easier to mount in the four point mount Rambler than it would be in a car with centered side mounts.

What rear axle is that, and what did it come from? Looks to be about the right width and not narrowed.
I like the progress, and it'd be really neat if it could be returned to original if desired (I'm the modify it but don't cut it type that farna is talking about). I hope he can accomplish this without any difficult to reverse modifications.

I'd keep the stock engine and trans just in case next owner would like to restore it. If I were to use a 'summer driver' as I call them here in Michigan, I think I'd like the quad4.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:01 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzoom

that smoothing job looks good so far. LOTS of time into that too! Keep it up, as it looks like a good job.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:19 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the comments....
We finished up the rear end and leaf springs etc..and it is now in the car!
I hope to have the undercar completed by the weekend. We cleaned and painted the bottom of the car...mounted the 8" rear..and started all new brake lines etc...trans mount is getting started and I hope to have the driveshaft made. Just got a nice 46 Ford sedan delivery in to replace the dash and swap gears and do some wood work in the panel area so were busy which is good but sometimes the Ramblers get pushed back a day or so....Wish me luck!
Old 03-31-2009, 10:36 PM

Last photo:

More progress....

Cleaned up the floor and found it was very good with only some surface rust from the rubber mat sitting in there around the drivers/pass. foot area..

Painted the floor...

Installed the radiator and elect. fan....

Will post again when some more junk gets done
Old 04-01-2009, 01:32 PM

Last journal entry: Body work
Last photo:

Very nice work Robert. That American will sure be different. Is there a reason why you are using the fan as a pusher instead of pulling air through the radiator?

Nice to see the progress.

Ed
Old 04-01-2009, 10:21 PM

Last photo:

Hi Ed,
No real reason why the fan is mounted in front other than I thought it would be hidden behind the grill somewhat and you wouldnt see it under the hood..Thought it would look cleaner and keep some heat away from fan motor..but honestly, No real specific reason..
Old 04-02-2009, 05:47 AM

I suppose you know why he asked -- a puller fan is much more efficient that a pusher. I agree though, a pusher fan looks cool when you see a bit of it through the grille!
Old 04-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Raggedy *** Rodder

Last journal entry: 59 Rambler American the hard way.
Last photo:

59 American the hard way

I admire the beautiful job Ramzoom is doing. He started with a really nice car, it appears, and found a perfect fit for the engine compartment.
I, on the other hand, am doing it the hard way.
I'm starting a journal, at Farna's wise suggestion, and I'm moving most of this over there.
Journal '59 Rambler American the hard way'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0020.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	275.4 KB
ID:	37365   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8120015.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	37367  

Last edited by EarlyAmerican; 04-03-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:56 AM

Before I start, I suggest you make a new thread with details on your car, and/or start a project page. Maybe "Rambler American Conversion #3" -- see if we get any others! Definitely don't want to confuse these two cars (yours and Ramzoom's). You can cut and paste your original post to the new thread then delete or edit here. Think I'd just edit it down and add that the details are in another topic and link to it. If you do that I'll do the same with my reply below -- move it to the new thread.
--------------------------

And a Chevy/Ford hybrid front end. I'm a big Rambler guy, but I don't mind! All cars get hot rodded and personalized if the owner desires. If you did all this to something like a 57 Rambler Rebel (only 1500 made, special edition), even if it was clapped out to begin with, I'd be about ready to shoot you, but that's about it... Even an AMX could be rodded, as long as it started out as a hulk that needed lots of work. Now go buy a pristine AMX, pull the 390 (even if blown!) and stick a BBC or BBF in it, and I'd say you're nuts!

My Classic wagon has a Jaguar rear axle, T-bird rack and pinion, and S-10 steering column. Everything else is AMC related in some way -- 199x Eagle Premier seats, 88 4.0L EFI six from a Jeep (bored and stroked to 4.6L) along with the AW-4 four speed auto trans... and everything else is original Rambler.

I'm assuming by "65 Nova frame" you mean the bolt-on front frame. I've always thought that would be a good and relatively easy way to upgrade one of the 58-63 Ramblers. Glad someone is finally doing it! I'd just weld flat mounting plates to the Rambler body where it was cut off and bolt the frame up just like on a Nova. Of course it could be just welded in.

The 60s Rambler buckets can be a bit clunky in the reclining mechanism, and are all low back. You might want to shop around in a junk yard for a low square back bucket with head rests, or a split bench. The Chrysler K-car and later derivatives actually have seats that would look "right" in the Rambler. I was looking for a good set of those the right color when I found the Eagle seats. Being sort of AMC was just a bonus.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:06 AM
Raggedy *** Rodder

Last journal entry: 59 Rambler American the hard way.
Last photo:

Thanks, Farna.

I'm new to participating in a forum; have always observed and admired.
I'll try to start a thread with my post.
I'll give you more details about the frame there.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.