Rambler American engine conversion #2 - Page 7 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2009, 10:43 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

The 65 American would be a perfect candidate for a 3.8 SFI Buick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2009, 11:45 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by farna
If the car had been in need of lots of work to be a good showable restoration I can understand cutting it up, but a near perfect car ready to show? I passed on several Rambler wagons that were in really great condition before finding one to stick my EFI six in. I wanted to build something, not restore, but I didn't want to mess up a good restorable car either.
I totally agree with you on this one. Want to cut fenders and stuff? Make a tube frame? Find a car with a rusted out frame, or rusted fenders (they're pre-cut ) Save the good bodies for the resto crowd, which I sort of am- I'm a sucker for era correct speed parts and mods.

I really like how this build keeps the character of the car (it's hardly cut up... easily restorable) but the SC'd quad4 will make it a little screamer! And the 'goldish' finish on the blower adds a vintage vibe, which I really appreciate.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:23 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hi all,
The engine is out and going to get detailed and final sealing in the next day or two. Buttoning up the trans with a new gasket set. Have to clean up under the hood (alot) Like I said before we still have lots of stuff to do but its getting closer all the time..Meeting with the upholstery guy tomorrow morning to finalize the seat vinyl color..Will have the seats back Thursday..Painted up the steel rims. Still trying to get to the tire shop to mount the front tires..still have to get rears! I am going with steel rims and little Rambler caps...Trying to keep the stock grandma econo look. I should have some pics up in a day or two..
Old 06-03-2009, 10:04 PM

Last photo:

Just a couple pics of the rear seat bottom that was completed. My upholstery guy wanted me to give him the ok to finish the rest...I guess he already knew I would like it

Old 06-03-2009, 11:30 PM
More for Less Racer

I've posted before how cool this car is/will be, but I think you are really killing the cool look by not putting on the Polished Torque-Thrusts like you showed us in the 1st post picture. Could have looked as cool as the drivetrain is, now it will just look like grandma's old Rambler with new paint . Maybe you need to look at that photo again??
Old 06-04-2009, 09:00 AM

Last photo:

I went back and forth on the stance and rims...My background for the most part is sleeper sedans..I love cheap sedans with little caps..The whole "Grandma" look does it for me...I will admit the lowered stance with the Americans does look really good and would probably appeal to more people as lowered with americans is a fairly common thing to do..I just decided to go the whole sleeper/grandma route for now. I can always change it up later..its just rims and tires and a drop.
Thanks....
Old 06-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzoom
I went back and forth on the stance and rims...My background for the most part is sleeper sedans..I love cheap sedans with little caps..The whole "Grandma" look does it for me...I will admit the lowered stance with the Americans does look really good and would probably appeal to more people as lowered with americans is a fairly common thing to do..I just decided to go the whole sleeper/grandma route for now. I can always change it up later..its just rims and tires and a drop.
Thanks....
I love the stance and all on the first pic, but I also ove how everything will look era correct with the steelies.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:39 PM

Last photo:

I just like the whole sleeper stock look..I guess I thought it would be more fun to have it this way..the world is full of lowered Ramblers..yes, it looks good but I dig the wolf in sheeps clothing approach more..If I dont raise the hood most people would just keep walking by not even knowing whats up...I kinda like that

Heres a shot of the motor out and getting finished..not done yet though!

Old 06-13-2009, 08:28 PM

Rambler-

You have made a nice car into something special- I would not change a
thing. The sleeper aspect of it is perfect- The factory made some nice
cars especially later in the 60's/early 70's, but the early 60 models never
were cool. You may have changed that, as well as doubled the asking price
of any resonably clean ramblers left! Great job. Jim
Old 06-14-2009, 09:12 PM

Last photo:

The rest of the seats are done........Wont finish interior untill the car is running...

Old 06-18-2009, 10:02 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last photo:

I LOVE the way the engine looks (side draft induction through those velocity stacks, supercharger... some sort of 'correct looking' (if it's not you have me fooled) paint... I doubt many will recognize it as a quad four...
Old 07-05-2009, 09:40 AM

Last photo:

Just a quick update:
Under the hood was resprayed ...

The plan is to have the engine back in the car by this coming week..
Then its only a matter of time before we can fire it up. I will video the start up and get it posted somehow..
Cant be too far off
Old 07-16-2009, 11:04 AM

rear end info

does any one know the length of the stock rear axle drum to drum i have a 60 Americana and trying to do my home work on a engine swap. considering a 3.4 v6 out of a camaro, and maybe the diff also. even though my name implies it not looking to completely butcher all the sheet metal.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:19 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

All American axles are ~54-55" wide, wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface. The two axles that come close are a pre 94 Ford Ranger or Chevy S-10 2WD pickup. I've seen both of those axles used. The early Ranger axle is maybe 1" wider overall (1/2" each side) -- maybe a little more or less, but fits well. 1990+ 4.0L Rangers use an 8.8" axle, the others a 7.5". You want a 90-92 model, 93+ are 1.5" wider. 7.5" or 8.8" is fine for a cruiser running street tires that easily fit in the wheel wells. For heavy power or racing you would of course want the 8.8". The Explorer axle won't fit -- wider by 3". See http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Axles.html for more on the Ranger axles. The Ranger axles use the same 5x4.5" bolt pattern as AMC did, so they get used more often. S-10 axles have a different bolt pattern and are 54.5" wide.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:50 PM

Hey butcher--what farna said, with one addition being the approx. 56.5" 5 bolt Maverick 8" as ramzoom used. There is also a Granada 8" that is about 1" wider than the Maverick. The F-body rear you mentioned is WAY too wide for an American. I picked up a 3.73 posi Ford 7.5" from a late 80's Ranger in my '60 American wagon, about 56.5", IIRC. Not the strongest rear, but certainly OK for this purpose (I gave up trying to find a reasonably priced '90-'92 Ranger 8.8" locally). I am also putting together a 3.4L but with 2.8L intake manifold and 4.3L injectors vs. the stock MPFI system which uses an oddball PCM and cam sensor arrangement with no aftermarket support. The 4.3L injectors apparently work well with the 2.8L programming when used on a 3.4L, this is a common swap in the S10 world. I anticipate having to move some accessory brackets around perhaps, but the GM 60*V6 should turn out to be a viable low buck, cut-free swap. I am sure this has probably been done before. Then there's the turbo and Megasquirt......

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.