Rambler American engine conversion #2 - Page 8 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2009, 05:03 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

rearend

then do u guys know if the Buick regal rear end is the same as the s10.... my 61 classic has the original six but with the addition of fuel injection from the help of Pontiac fiero tbi. it runs surprisingly well. but still considering a v8 swap in that one

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2009, 05:18 PM

i like the sound of that

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevsen
Hey butcher--what farna said, with one addition being the approx. 56.5" 5 bolt Maverick 8" as ramzoom used. There is also a Granada 8" that is about 1" wider than the Maverick. The F-body rear you mentioned is WAY too wide for an American. I picked up a 3.73 posi Ford 7.5" from a late 80's Ranger in my '60 American wagon, about 56.5", IIRC. Not the strongest rear, but certainly OK for this purpose (I gave up trying to find a reasonably priced '90-'92 Ranger 8.8" locally). I am also putting together a 3.4L but with 2.8L intake manifold and 4.3L injectors vs. the stock MPFI system which uses an oddball PCM and cam sensor arrangement with no aftermarket support. The 4.3L injectors apparently work well with the 2.8L programming when used on a 3.4L, this is a common swap in the S10 world. I anticipate having to move some accessory brackets around perhaps, but the GM 60*V6 should turn out to be a viable low buck, cut-free swap. I am sure this has probably been done before. Then there's the turbo and Megasquirt......
i would like to see pics of the project
Old 07-16-2009, 08:40 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

You're going to have to move a LOT of brackets around! Think 30's highboy type brackets. There's only 24" between the spring towers where the upper a-arms bolt onto the 58-63 Ramblers American. You get a few inches on up, and about 3" on each side just in front of the spring tower. If you move the engine near the firewall , the accessories will be just in front of those towers, but not far enough to clear them. I had a good deal on a Ford 2.9L V-6 from a Bronco II once, but after looking at the accessory mounts I passed and rebuilt the 196 OHV instead. All accessories were mounted way off to the sides.

The rear drive Regal has a track width of 57.8", which is going to be close to the mounting surface to mounting surface width. So figure it's at least 57", maybe 58". That's a little wide for an American, 56" is about right. You could probably run 57-58" with stock tires and wheels, they are inset a good bit. A wider wheel will need more backset, but it can be made to work without narrowing. Wheel choices will be more limited though. 56.5" seems to be what the early Ranger axle is, so we're really only talking about another 1.5" (late Ranger), 3/4" on each side.

Ask one of the guys with a Ranger axle if they have another inch of clearance between the wheel and wheel opening lip. I doubt it's that much, probably more like 1/2"-3/4", which is what you want. So just get wheels with an extra 3/4" or so backset. The Regal axle will have a Chevy bolt pattern though, so you have that to deal with also.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:31 AM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

need updated pics on the lil green wagon!

As for the red rambler, I'd go with a 4.0 with a 258 crank with a turbo/SC on it. Being a Jeep guy I know of a lot of guys online who built up some mean naturally aspirated 4.0s with the 258 crank.
-Matt
Old 07-17-2009, 07:45 AM

I run a modest one myself.... I figure around 265 hp (net... would mean around 300 the way most aftermarket engine dynos read, which is pretty much the pre-72 gross hp method). Probably just a bit over 200 at the rear wheels though. I'm about to pump it up 30-40 hp (net) with a 99 intake, 95 head (I'm currently running an 87 Renix head), 95 exhaust manifold, a bored out throttle body (62mm, I believe), and a Chrylser Renix performance computer. That last one is hard to come by, but I nabbed one from a friend who stopped running his hopped up Jeep. Put the stock computer and TB on before selling, sold me the goodies!
Old 08-15-2009, 07:57 PM

Last photo:

The Rambler was fired! Sounds healthy! Cant post vid here???
Old 08-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzoom
The Rambler was fired! Sounds healthy! Cant post vid here???

post video on youtube or photobucket or similar site, and post a link here.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:52 AM

Last photo:

link goes right to my entire albulm which I dont want...I dont think this forum allows videos on threads...
Old 09-22-2009, 12:46 AM

Last photo:

4 Farna..........

Old 09-22-2009, 04:54 AM
uninteresting default message

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: A couple of pics of the car
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Very Cool
Old 09-22-2009, 06:31 AM

Thanks Robert! For those who are curious, I'm writing an article for my little AMC magazine on the car and asked about the motor mounts and a photo of the left side of the engine. I'm thinking about putting a photo of his stock looking car on the front and using a rubber stamp or stencil font with "CONTROVERSIAL" diagonally across it for the cover.

If anyone following the thread wants a copy send an e-mail to farna AT att.net and request a freee issue. Can't be more than a few here! It will be in the form of a PDF file sent e-mail. My use-license for the PDF files state that you can retain one electronic and one printed copy for your personal use only, no posting or sharing the electronic file. I give people who have subject matter in the mag permission to make additional hard copies in whole or part to give to friends/family. I usually give permission for others to do the same on a case by case basis -- just ask!
Old 09-22-2009, 10:50 AM

Hey, one last question -- how are you doing the rear engine mount? The stock mounts bolted to the bell housing, and the rear crossmember naturally went under the bell. You could fab some brackets to bolt to the bell and use the original mounts, but that would require drilling through the bell to bolt the mounts on. I doubt you want to do that, but I have seen it done. I suspect you're going to fab a crossmember further back under the trans, or use a universal type similar to the front motor mount crossmember. I've fabbed one before, used two pieces of 1" angle welded together to form a 2"x1" channel. Used carriage bolts through the "frame" rails stuck in through the floor. Carpet covered them, and no way they were going to pull through!
Old 09-22-2009, 12:12 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,150 Posts

Oh my goodness, that is darn near as good as a nudie shot, it is almost sensual!

Brian
Old 09-23-2009, 01:05 AM

Last photo:

Were welding in a crossmember for the tranny and using a stock muncie trans mount.

I like the cover idea..I guess that answers my question about the x car idea

I think I need to do that as originally planned.......

RAMBLER TWIN CAM POWER
My original plan for this car was to tag the motor and letter it up with Rambler logo etc...Something "factory" looking'ish..I know its not even close to anything that would have been done but just for fun to make it "more" interesting..The outside of the car was/is to be lettered period style as a Rambler experimental car..something youd see built for exhibition etc..I have seen Ramblers lettered up for the Economy runs..think that look only performance orientated...Its goofy I know but I think it would be different and fun..after all its a rambler..its supposed to be fun..

Anyone got a Rambler'ish sounding name for an experimental twin cam motor???
Old 09-23-2009, 08:06 AM

Hmm.... I don't know about lettering it up, not if you want to make it look like a factory show car. I think the idea of sticking an Offenhauser badge on it somewhere and making it look like Rambler was considering a contract with Offy for a four cylinder engine would be believable. Maybe on the deck lid, or a sticker underlining the American script... or both.

AMC didn't get fancy with valve covers and such on the engine. The valve covers used a sticker with the engine size and sometimes a design or logo. The old 195.6 sticker just had "195.6 Economy Six" on it. Assuming they would play up the Offenhauser connection since that was the premier Indy engine of the day, a long thin sticker with just "Offenhauser" on it would be good, maybe put the old AM script or Rambler "R" on one or both ends on each valve cover...

R OFFENHAUSER POWER 4 R (or OFFY POWER 4 , or just OFFENHAUSER if is room is a problem)

Just a suggestion! Whatever you do it's going to be a NICE little ride! Scroll down after clicking on this link to see the various valve cover decals and what years they were used:
http://www.americanpartsdepot.com/St...iterature2.htm

AMC always made their show cars look like a factory production car and gave them unique model names. The only Rambler car I can think of was the Palm Beach, but that was a totally unique body with 55 Nash Rambler (basically the same as 58-63 American) L-head six and running gear.
http://www.hemmings.com/hcc/stories/...feature23.html

There was the Tarpon (American fastback) which was developed into the Marlin (Classic fastback, the early AMC V-8 was considered to bulky and heavy for the 64-65 American), and the Marlin Tahiti, but I don't recall and special badging on the Tahiti. Might have been though.
http://www.geocities.com/marlin1965/MyMarlinPage.html

There was also a 64 Typhoon -- a special color and option package for the 64 Classic hardtop with Typhoon replacing the Classic script on the rear quarter (a small 232 badge was on the front fender). All of those were yellow with black top and had the then brand new 232 Typhoon six.
http://jakesgeneralstore.com/image-g...ambler-typhoon

In 67 there were three special model Rebel wagons made. They kept the Rebel script on the front fender and had the special nameplate on the rear quarter panel, and a unique badge for each of the three models on the C pillar. The guy in the link collected and restored all three!
http://www.bigflea.com/amc/

There were some experimental/show cars, but again, all were made up to look like regular production cars with unique names. The Economy Run cars were all stickered up with sponsors and advertising just like a race car. It was a race -- actually more of a rally -- just a slow one! Speeds averaged 45 mph, and those guys really practiced hard to squeeze every mile from a gallon of gas. Results of regular drivers WAS NOT typical! Rambler kept the stats for a couple chase cars at least once, and reported the mileage they got, which was only about 5 mpg less than the carefully driven competing car. The chase cars had to race in advance and set up stops then left last and hurried on to pass the competitor to set up the next stop -- more normal driving!

Last edited by farna; 09-23-2009 at 08:22 AM.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.