Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - rambler with nova subframe
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2009, 10:12 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 396Wheelstand
I thought of removing everything from the firewall forward and making my own inner fenderwells, then I could use a front clip from a later Nova/camaro and build around it I would graft the front subframe into the rockers and maybe add a rear stub to connect the rear suspension to. I was able to get a close up view of Gary Meadors Nash at a goodguys meet a few years back and the whole frame from an s10 that he did was nice however it requires cutting the floor for clearance in both the front foot area and the rear kickup. The wheelbase of the short wheelbase S10 is within 1/2 inch of the Ramblers which is what originally attracted me to this, however considering the adapting of the steering and gas tank etc. I think I would be better off either building my own frame or putting a sub under it. I was just wanting to know if anyone had done this before. I initially will use a small block around 300 horses and then later put a big block in it, I am not afraid of cutting and fabricating as I have the shop and have done a lot of this type of work in the past. I think the biggest problem I am going to run into is going to be the steering and pedals in any type of swap. I had considered using a nailhead or SBF because of their smaller footprint into the engine compartment, but nailhead prices have gone crazy and I dont have anything for the SBF motors so Iwould have to spend time and $'s to get that accomplished too which brings me back to square #1. Thanks for the replys
I got a 2 door Blazer for next to nothing that will be going under my '59 American, they are the ones with the 100.5" wheelbase. I'm going to try to keep floor mount pedals and keep it a manual transmission. I will be using a 1996 Land Rover 4.0L that I got for free, which is a direct relative of the old Buick and Oldsmobile 215 aluminum V8s, I will be keeping the fuel injection. I plan on running a S10 T5 since they are dirt cheap and easily adaptable.

I figured that I need to make new floors anyway since mine are gone, why not just go for it. I can rebuild the entire S10 front suspension for what a set of trunnions for the Rambler would cost. It will also be easier to airbag, since I want it to lay on the ground.

I'm not going for power, just a nice custom cruiser that I wouldn't be afraid to drive anywhere.