Rambler Rides Again! seeks info - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2011, 12:43 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rambler Rides Again! seeks info

howdy,well i searched back posts,didn't find my answer,so here i am,i have a 1969 Rambler American and would like to know what the widest tires i can run on the rear with out having to modify the fender wells thank you for your time Rex Stevens

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2011, 03:30 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Measuring for yourself may be the best thing to do.

https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html, look at How to Determine Vehicle Fitment and How to Measure Wheel Backspace or Offset.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:34 PM

Last photo:

Rambler Rides Again!

Thank you!
Old 06-23-2011, 06:41 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

I'm not positive about the widest tire, but you're looking at no more than a 7" wheel. I'm running 215/65R15 tires on mine and still have some room. You can run a 225, but much wider than that and you'll likely scrub some when going around a hard corner.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:54 AM

Last photo:

Rambler Rides Again!

Thank you Farna for the information,my game plan is to run 225/60/15 up front,with 7 inch wheel,for back run 245/60/15,with 8inch wheel,now the factory manual offers a 8.25'' max as an option,i don't know how that compares to a G60(that was the old poly glass from the sixties),or how a G60 compares to the above,plus the different wheel companies i have looked at all offer different back spaces and offsets,at least these are the two terms I've read,for all i know they might mean the same thing,I'm just going to take one wheel off,turn it upside down lay a ruler across,measure down to wheel flange,and give that measurement to the wheel guy and see what he Say's,but i would kinda like to have an understanding before i go talk to some salesman and he starts talking all his gibberish,again thank you for your time
Old 07-03-2011, 09:53 AM

Look for the backset measurement. That's from the back edge of the wheel to the front of the wheel mounting surface. "offset" is the difference from the center of the wheel -- negative offset if the wheel is deeper in the back, positive if it's shallower in the back... I think. Anyway, it's easier for you to measure backset.

A 245/60R15 tire is about 9.6" wide. That is going to be a bit wide. A 225 is about 9" wide. That's probably the widest that will fit in wheel wells without scrubbing, and they may scrub a bit if/when the back is loaded up. I suggest you go down a size -- 205 front/225 back -- if you want the big/little combo and to fit the wheel wells. I prefer to run the same size tires front and rear so they can be rotated, but that's a personal preference. you might find a tire store that will mount up some 245s for you to test fit just for the mounting charge. Maybe they have some used tires they will test fit for you, provided you're definitely buying tires from them.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:01 PM

Last photo:

Rambler Rides Again!

Thank you Farna for your time,and for your information,now i have another question,my 1969 rambler has manual drum brakes,how hard is it,or is it even possible to upgrade to disc brakes,thank you all.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:17 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Any disk brake setup from a small body AMC will fit. '79-'83? parts are still fairly easy to get, and that is what most convert with. But Scarebird has a setup that uses other parts. Listed for Javelins but fits all AMC's
Old 07-04-2011, 02:27 AM

Last photo:

Rambler Rides Again!

Thank you Matt for the information,now next question AMC used a T-10 transmission,i have a muncie M-21 transmission that i want to replace the 3 speed with,do i need and adapter or will it interchange
Old 07-08-2011, 12:19 PM

Hi Rex! Nice chatting with you on the phone. Since you have a V-8 you can use a Lakewood bell housing, but they aren't cheap!

We discussed the Scarebird setup -- that's the way I'd go. 10-20 years from now the AMC original parts (especially rotors) are going to be hard to get and expensive -- older than 79 units are now!

Andre Jacobs at South Texas AMC can help you with the bell housing I think.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:56 PM

Last photo:

Rambler Rides Again!

Howdy, Farna thank you for the information,i think i located a 401,i called a friend of mine in Calif and he tracked down a 401 out of a 72 javelin,they had put it in a jeep,to pull the motor out complete(no trans)900 dollars,i told my friend that i wanted it,so he's going to go listen to it run this week-end and get back with me,now what I've read so far,the 72 401 has dog leg exhaust ports,8.5 compression and tall deck,from the information i read the dog leg ports flow better then the square ports.Even if the 401 runs,I'm still going to rebuild it,I'm in no hurry so i plan to do it right,a Johnny cash special,lol,one piece at a time.Also let me know how i can get a copy of that book you got with all the information on amc's,oh it seems that you can pump more horse power out of a 390 than you can out of a 401,correct me if I'm wrong.Another question comes to mind my 1966 has a 290,do i have to install stelite valve seats to run unleaded gas
Old 07-20-2011, 02:05 PM

You don't have to have valve seats unless the valves are recessed in the head (worn in). You should get 80,000 miles out of a valve job. When (if) the valves wear in have seats put in. Unless you run it real hard all the time the seats will last without inserts (drag racing a lot?).

No substitute for cubic inches! A 401 can potentially be built to outperform a 390, though 11 cubes isn't much. The stock 390s had around 10:1 compression. They would put out more power than a 8.5:1 401, assuming all you did was made some bolt on mods to each. Building with a complete tear down and equal compression, the 401 should put out just a bit more than the 390, naturally. If you want to run on pump gas you might want to keep compression around 9:1 anyway.

Go to my website and you'll find the info you need to get the AMC numbers book.
(http://www.amc-mag.com)
Old 08-03-2011, 01:02 AM

Last photo:

Rambler Rides Again!

Howdy all,well i finally got my 1969 Rambler home,it has a 199 six cylinder with three speed on column,i think i'm going to keep this one semi-stock,but have the question,can a latter model T-5 transmission be installed in it,thank you for your time!
Old 08-03-2011, 01:34 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I don't think so. I know with a '72- later 232/258, you use the T4 bell from an eagle with a T4 4spd and it'll all work, but with a '69 199, I don't think there is a bellhousing or an adapter available.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:04 AM

Hi,
Great Thread,we had many rambler american 69 in Iran,this car was produced in Iran (1969-72) with 6 cyl engine,Lots of them were destroyed after revolution when european and japanese cars came here
But still see some in streets.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.