Ramshorn manifold vs. Sanderson headers - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2007, 09:36 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptKaos
smoothed polished and chrome ram's horn manifolds are just the latest "gotta have item" for "traditional hot rods", they suck for performance when compared to any good header,
Mine are not chrome ...

In a high horsepower ... need every horsepower situation ... headers are best ... no argument ... but on his combination ... Ramhorns are good ... don't leak and look period correct. Plus a 39 Chevy is not a light car ... and the drag strip is not where it is going to be used ...

The bottom line is ... ... He asked about the difference in Ramhorns and Sandersons ... not real headers

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2007, 09:57 AM
opinionated old fart

Last journal entry: Sheetmetal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Sanderson makes real headers not just block huggers

Larry
Old 09-05-2007, 02:25 PM
Last photo:

I apologize for the quality of the pictures, the car was being wet sanded prior to paint so it's pretty messy.

Vince
Old 09-06-2007, 11:23 PM

Last photo:

As I mentioned a few nights ago, I had bought a set of Sanderson Headers on ebay from a guy that goes by the name of Nova Joe. I contacted him today and he's still selling them and in fact has a contract with Sanderson. You can contact him on his website www.novajoe.com. He is still selling the ceramic coated Sanderson Headers for $325. to your door. Below is a couple of pictures of my '32 with the Sanderson CC5 headers that gives ample hood and spark plug clearance. Hopefully this will save some of you guys some $$$
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sanderson Headers.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	24032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine Pic.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	24033  
Old 09-11-2007, 08:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptKaos
Sanderson makes real headers not just block huggers

Larry

I thought he was comparing RamHorns to these Sanderson iron exhaust ... more of a apples to apples comparison ... not a apples to oranges comparison.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:05 PM
opinionated old fart

Last journal entry: Sheetmetal
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce

I thought he was comparing RamHorns to these Sanderson iron exhaust ... more of a apples to apples comparison ... not a apples to oranges comparison.
that is not what I deduced from the title of the post, it states "ramhorns vs Sanderson headers"

Larry
Old 05-26-2013, 07:50 PM

Last photo:

Please advise me on these 2 different styles of new and cheap (probably Chinese) ram horn manifolds.

I'm thinking about them for a bone stock 1991 305 TPI engine I'm putting in a '57 Chevy pickup for my wife to drive for errands.

New Style Small Block Chevy RAM Horn Cast Iron Exhaust Manifolds Headers SBC V8 | eBay

SBC Small Block Chevy 1955 57 Raw Unplated Cast Iron RAM Horn Exhaust Manifold | eBay
Old 05-26-2013, 08:01 PM

Last photo:

Wow. Hell of a deal on these.

SBC Block Hugger Header JBA Stainless Steel New Hot Rat Street Rod 350 Chevy | eBay

Would these gain me anything on a stock 305 TPI? to justify the extra cost?
Old 05-27-2013, 08:51 AM

Last photo:

So, this is the reason I'm looking at the rams horns:

These cheap stainless block huggers I bought on ebay won't fit. I've got the new CPP 400 power steering box and they obviously not very header friendly. Sanderson's has a couple of designs that will fit but they are expensive. Those JBA's will fit too but I'm not sure about the port shape because they are designed for LT1 type heads.

So, I'm leaning towards these ram horns:

I'm pretty sure they are made by Wysco Products. I think the castings look better than the Dormans.

Comments?
Old 05-28-2013, 04:43 AM

Last photo:

For that truck I'd use a set of 1993-97 Camaro/Firebird LT1 or 1994-1996 iron head LT1 manifolds. Or even a set of IROC-Z manifolds with their 2 1/4" exit manifolds.

1993 LT1 F-body manifold

94-96 Caprice manifolds 2 1/2" exit

These have D ports though, the exits look perfect though.

peace
Hog
Old 05-28-2013, 07:35 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptKaos View Post
if I can influence somebody into not using something that wont improve performance and only gain "ooooh cool from the in crowd" I am happy to have served.

if it dont go fast, keep trying

Larry
p.s. ratrods and half assed traditional hotrods suck

Disclaimer: The views expressed by CptKaos do not necessarily represent the views of the masses, they are meant as opinion only.
It depends on what you mean by "half assed" many "uglier than sin" cars run wicked fast times, they just spend all their budget on speed rather than paint and chrome.

BTW Round Rock, TX is in one of my favorite areas of the country- you lucky SOB.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:13 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
For that truck I'd use a set of 1993-97 Camaro/Firebird LT1 or 1994-1996 iron head LT1 manifolds. Or even a set of IROC-Z manifolds with their 2 1/4" exit manifolds.
1993 LT1 F-body manifold
94-96 Caprice manifolds 2 1/2" exit
These have D ports though, the exits look perfect though.
peace
Hog
Thanks for your reply and help.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. My engine for the truck is a stock L98 305ci TPI out of a '91 Z28 and doesn't have D ports. I'm thinking that the rear exits on those manifolds might be problematic too. I know the ones that come straight down in the middle will work easily.

I've been doing a little more research and have found some information about the flow of these that is real interesting. The old 2 1/2" cast Corvette versions of the ram horns flow just about the same as headers up to about 6000 rpm. But, the standard 2" outlet versions do not. I saw a dyno chart where this was documented.
Since my displacement is only 305 and my rpm will never top 5000, I think it's a given that the 2 1/2" ram horns won't hurt me in any way.

I've pretty much decided on getting the Wysco 2 1/2" ram horn reproductions that I posted the pic and link to above.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:27 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1 View Post
Since my displacement is only 305 and my rpm will never top 5000, I think it's a given that the 2 1/2" ram horns won't hurt me in any way.
On a bone stock 305 you're probably only giving up about 25hp/25ftlb... if it is modified in any way those numbers can start to quickly escalate.

Manifolds give up a LOT in the power department, and its not just because of flow, manifolds have no scavenging effect and if you have a larger cam they can cause a lot of unwanted reversion.

If power isn't a concern though a bone stock 305 with stock exhaust manifolds will still run just fine, its ran that way in millions of cars.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:47 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
On a bone stock 305 you're probably only giving up about 25hp/25ftlb... if it is modified in any way those numbers can start to quickly escalate....
I don't think so. Not with the 2 1/2" version and lower rpms.

Take a look at this dyno info:

Dyno results - headers vs rams horn manifolds - ChevyTalk --The Social Network for Chevy Fans

Looks like it's only 5hp/5ftlbs difference at 5000 and below and that was with a 383.

But you are pretty close with your numbers if you compare the headers to the 2" ram horns with the 383.

Another thing is that for my case, I would also be comparing block hugger header style to the 2 1/2" ram horns on my 305. Block hugger are not going to flow like full-length headers. So, I might not really be losing hardly anything by going to the 2 1/2" ram horns.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:57 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1 View Post
I don't think so. Not with the 2 1/2" version and lower rpms.

Take a look at this dyno info:

Dyno results - headers vs rams horn manifolds - ChevyTalk --The Social Network for Chevy Fans

Looks like it's only 5hp/5ftlbs difference at 5000 and below and that was with a 383.

But you are pretty close with your numbers if you compare the headers to the 2" ram horns with the 383.

Another thing is that for my case, I would also be comparing block hugger header style to the 2 1/2" ram horns on my 305. Block hugger are not going to flow like full-length headers. So, I might not really be losing hardly anything by going to the 2 1/2" ram horns.
The flow is only part of it, the harmonic tuning can have a HUGE effect on power, ram horn manifolds are not tuned.

Compared to block hugger headers though you won't see much of a difference, there will still be some but probably not more than 10 ftlb.

Again, it doesn't appear that power is a concern and there's nothing wrong with going with what is cheap and fits.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.