Ranchero disc brakes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2013, 12:34 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Ranchero disc brakes

Can anybody tell me how to find out which vehicles can be used for the disc brakes to install on a 1965 ranchero

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2013, 04:17 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

iirc the ford grenade (Granada)
Old 12-16-2013, 08:53 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

small ford disc's

google can be your friend !!
I am not sure but if you start with a 6 cyl chassis I think you need more parts off a v8 car. .I think the Maverick-comet disc parts also work The disc swap for early mustangs has been covered many times in the Mustang sites. Mustang and falcoln share lots of chassis parts. The stock mustang KH 4 piston conversions also would work but the rotors are smaller than later years and parts are more expensive. I have a set of KH on 40 ford spindles and parts to do the model A.
http://www.fairlanefalconbrakeparts....FcKDQgodcXkAQA
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-65-66-F...-/150978556510
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=568805
http://www.fordfalcon2000.com/restor...diskbrakes.htm

Last edited by timothale; 12-16-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:11 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Ford didn't use discs in '65 for their standard run-of-the-mill vehicles so anything you consider has to be an aftermarket or trial and error from about '68 on (ever try to stop a PI engined Galaxie with drum brakes after 2-3 hard 1/4 mile runs- off to the toolies at the end of the track) Anything '66/7 was very marginal - a few Fairlanes in '66/7 had crap discs. So, with that said, would probably look at the next subsequent model chassis for that Ranchero which would be the mid size Fairlane/Torino and '68 up, using the entire spindle and brake assembly, including the valve under the master cylinder. Of course, this is just my guesstimate, but the way I would 'travel' for an OEM parts trial.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:57 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

granadaa calipers

the granada sliding calipers tend to stick and wear out one side of the rotors. If you use that design you will need to regulary Service the brakes , clean off the rust on the sliding surfaces and use a Small amount of high temp wheel bearing grease to put on a light coat. another alternative is to use late model Mustang GT calipers and make a bracket... the dimensions were on one of the fairlane -falcoln or small ford forums but I did not keep a copy /.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:41 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

The granada discs will work and new replacement parts are cheap. You simply change the whole spindle out for the granada spindles and then have to get front chassis to caliper brake lines with the correct ends. If your car is a 6 cylinder car, you can either buy a bushing to adapt the tie rod hole on the spindle to you tie rod ends, or buy all v-8 steering linkage from a v-8 version of your car.

Read this, it is pretty accurate comparing it to what I had to do on a customer's car a few months ago.
MustangSteve's GRANADA to MUSTANG DISC BRAKE INSTALLATION INFORMATION

Kelly

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.