Ranger V8 conversion - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012, 05:31 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Ranger V8 conversion

ok. i have read and read about the ranger V8 conversions. unless i have overlooked some i have not seen my answer. i have a 94 Ford Ranger 4.0 and i have a junk 94 F-150 with fuel injected 302. i want to put the fuel injected 302 in the ranger. the question is it even possible? should i use the 5 speed manual or find a automatic tranny for it? and where can i get headers for the conversion.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2012, 08:08 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

It's pretty easy actually. To get the motor in there, you need 5.0L mounts for a Fox body convertible Mustang. It will take some cutting and drilling but they fit right in. Wiring, you'll need the EVTM for your truck and the F-150. There both EEC-IV so it should be pretty straight forward. You'll need to go thru the wiring and splice the F-150 engine wiring harness to the Rangers main plug ( big round plug ).. As for the transmission, you can't use the trucks 5spd, as it puts the shifter way too close to the Ranger dash.. Mustang T5 is a popular swap but that puts the shifter between the seats, an S10 tailshaft can be used to put the shifter in the stock location but it takes some modding and time. Auto would be far easier. Headders are easy/ pretty cheap. Early mustang Tri Y's fit almost perfect. I think Headman quit making the Ranger swap headers but they were garbage anyway.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:30 AM

Thanks. Wow it sounds easy cause I have the whole F-150 so harness computer everything is there. I really want to keep the 5 spd. Is there anyway to modify the ranger tranny to mount to the V8.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:31 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

ranger swap

I put a 302 - C4 into my 83, I ordered the info pack from one of the companies that sell kits. My 96 Mazda looks like the same chassis as the 83, the 4 banger is still running. If it dies it will get a 5.0 ..I used Maverick V8 motor mounts and stock Maverick exhaust ,fabbed my own mount brackets, had to heat the Ac heater box and push with a leather glove to get valve cover clearance. I raised the body 2 in to get more clearance, they say you don't have to. A 460 Ford van oil filter casting that tilts the filter will work on mine, or you use the remote filter and run the rubber hoses. I think for my drive shaft I used stock pieces from Mustang 5.0 and ranger and didn't have to cut it.. You can probably get more info on the Ranger Station Forums.
The Following User Says Thank You to timothale For This Useful Post:
rangerman (08-24-2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 08:35 AM

Thanks. I want this to go as easy as possable. So any info and tricks and lessons learned will help me.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:43 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

Trans Mod

Years ago we put a pinto 4 and 4 speed into a Nash Metro, I took the trans apart and used a sawsall and sliced the tail housing casting to seperate the part that has the shifter then moved it foreward and Tig welded the aluminum shifter piece as far foreward as possible on the tail casting then shortened the shifter shaft. With all the oil in the casting it bubbled a lot when welding so we smeared a lot of rtv over everything, It didn't leak but we didn.t want to have to pull it apart. 82-3 5.0 mustangs ran the RUG or SROD overdrive trans but the shifter was to the back. I Think Ford vans used a SROD 4 speed that had the shifter farther foreward, That trans is aluminum overdrive , a modified design of the Famous old Ford Top loader 4 speed, a stout trans.

Last edited by timothale; 08-23-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:05 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerman View Post
Thanks. Wow it sounds easy cause I have the whole F-150 so harness computer everything is there. I really want to keep the 5 spd. Is there anyway to modify the ranger tranny to mount to the V8.
They use integral bellhousings so, not without a custom adapter.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:02 PM

Ok well thanks for the info
Old 08-23-2012, 04:23 PM
Flathead Freak

Last photo:

ranger

I had an '83 w/ a small block Chev & 4 speed. Used the stock clutch master/slave. Had to either modify the trans tunnel, or put in a small body lift- that's what mine had. That thing surprised many of "hot rodders."
Old 08-23-2012, 09:04 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Ford Ranger Bronco II V8 conversions kits, transmission adapter, motor mounts, aluminum radiator, oil pan, billet cap, A/C pump
Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!
Old 08-24-2012, 07:34 AM

Last photo:

The kits are a total waste. some of the Motor mounts from the kits are nothing more than vert mounts, but vert mounts are usually less than $10 each, and being a Mustang mount, poly mounts are also available..

4.0L Radiator is also the preferred radiator in a 5.0L swap which he has being his truck is a 4.0L

Tags
302 conversion, ford, ranger

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.