ranger w/ a 2.3 mustang motor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2003, 12:43 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question ranger w/ a 2.3 mustang motor

so i am going to try to put a 93 2.3 mustang motor and trany in a 85 ranger 2 wheel drive. does anyone know how to go about getting the wiring set up? is there any problems i would run into that i wouldn't expect.

im new at this board stuff is there anyother info i need to put in my post?? also does anyone know of any web sites that would help me do things right like some type of walk throughs or do's and don't's of the process!! thank you

redflame

Advertisement

Last edited by redflameryder; 07-25-2003 at 12:43 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2003, 12:31 PM
Start those projects someday

Last journal entry: Divco - has been on the back burner
Last photo:

The best way is to have a complete donor vehicle and swap all the parts from PCM to the motor mounts. Is the 93 engine the dual plug motor? Do you have the harness and the computer? The engine and trans should bolt up.... its just the rest of the stuff will be different, ignition, injection, manifolds, harness, etc.
Old 07-27-2003, 02:14 AM

yeah i can get the computer and i think there's a harness but i don't know how good of shape the harness is. yeah the new engine has the dual spark plugs. so do you think the motor mounts or trany mounts will match up?? and then what about belts, fan and stuff like that?? what about the oil pan??
thanks
redflame
Old 07-27-2003, 04:05 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

As the 2.3L was used in both vehicles, the actual physical swap is not going to be that difficult. Things like drive belts (FEAD) will go with the donor engine.

The most difficult will be the host harness. It is dual plug so it will be coil pack so the complete donor vehicle's wiring harness is going to have to be saved. Is the RANGER fuel injected now or was it carbureted? If carb, then you will have to supply a high pressure fuel delivery. What type of trans? Is it PCM (Powertrain Control Module)?

You are going to have to sit down and write a series of questions to be answered before the swap.

At the least you are going to need the complete wiring schematics (FORD not CHILTON) of both vehicles to overlay the donor ECM/PCM harness into the pickup.

You also need to check emmission laws in your state regarding engine swaps (upgrades) so that it will pass the sniff test.
Old 07-27-2003, 06:30 AM

Last photo:

As long as youre swapping motors and having to change wiring harness how about putting a turbo coupe motor in instead.
Old 07-27-2003, 09:30 PM

Last photo:

www.therangerstation.com

this should help you in your engine swapping needs

I was thinking of doing the same swap exept the 2.3L will have a turbo on it. The problem is the air conditioning will get in the way of the turbo but hey the 2.3L gets 28 miles per gallon and much more horse will come out of it compaired with my 2.9L
Old 07-28-2003, 01:32 AM

screw a naturally aspirated 2.3L go to a 2.3 Turbo motor man. a few people over at www.turboford.org have done this and could help you with the swap if need be. later
Old 07-28-2003, 03:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally posted by dk01_99
screw a naturally aspirated 2.3L go to a 2.3 Turbo motor man. a few people over at www.turboford.org have done this and could help you with the swap if need be. later
Ditto! That would be a cool setup.

Chris
Old 07-29-2003, 01:27 AM

ya it would be a sweet ride but too bad he can't use a turbo as big as yours, it would never spool.....ok maybe at around 5 grand.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:37 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:

Quote:
ya it would be a sweet ride but too bad he can't use a turbo as big as yours, it would never spool.....ok maybe at around 5 grand.
Probably would not spool at all, but I have seen HX35W(Dodge Cummins Turbo) Holsets on the 2.3 engines. They will support around 500 HP. Pretty much full race when you start getting 500 ponies from 2.3 liters.

I do know where an almost complete 2.3 turbo T-bird is in my local yard. Only thing missing is the turbo......

Chris
Old 07-29-2003, 02:07 PM

ya if you make your way over to turboford.org you will see some pretty hot cars every now and then. a 9 second svo and an 8 second focus come to mind. but i have heard of the holset turbo being used and i never did know what it was from, thanks! when do you think you will reach full boost with yours? and then what rpm will you be taking it too? go snag that tbird and put a turbo and some exhaust on it, turn up the boost just a tad and it would be really fun. ok im gonna go now. later
Old 07-29-2003, 03:26 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
but i have heard of the holset turbo being used and i never did know what it was from, thanks! when do you think you will reach full boost with yours? and then what rpm will you be taking it too? go snag that tbird and put a turbo and some exhaust on it, turn up the boost just a tad and it would be really fun.
The bird is pretty complete, but I have no need for another project.

The Holsets also come on some other cummins engines, but the most popular is the Dodge 5.9.

I hope mine will spool completly by 4000 RPM. I will probably shift around 6500 RPM. 6500 will put me around 145 MPH through the traps. I will have to get it tuned before I can get the boost high enough to do that though.

Chris
Old 08-26-2003, 10:47 AM

I didnt read all the post, so i dont know if anyone said this but the best site for ranger engine swaps is www.rangerpowersports.com

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.