Rant: Bosch Plugs Cost me $300.00 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2004, 02:49 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Rant: Bosch Plugs Cost me $300.00

Bosch Platinum Spark Plugs cost me $300

To make a long story short. I decided to install a new set of Bosch Platinum plugs in my sons MX6 2.5 liter and set the idle. Well after the plugs and setting of the idle the little engine ran pretty much the same as before, a few days latter my son complained that the engine would miss at idle and when accelerating. My 1st thought was that I messed-up when setting the idle (I may not have disabled the computer properly) So I re-set the idle and things were no better. I figured rather then F—ing things more I would take it to the Mazda dealer. The 1st thing the service adviser said was that they needed to run a computer scan at a cost of $85.00 and then report back to me with their findings. The report came back with no error codes but the timing was off, so they re-set the timing at a cost of $45.00. I picked the car up and after driving the car home I noticed no difference the engine missed as before. I took the car back to the dealer this time I talked to the mechanic. The mechanic test drove the car and he suggested a fuel system flush at a cost of $130.00. I picked the car up latter that day and it ran perfect. Next day it ran as before missing and stumbling. Now I am pissed with taxes I am $300 in the hole and the car is running like crap. What to do? take it to another dealer or keep on taking it to the same clowns and paying for more so-called fixes. I said to myself what did I do to make this car run like crap. Well as per the mechanic I did set the idle correctly so the only other thing I did was replacing the stock NGK plugs with the Bosh. I bit the bullet went to the store and bought a new set of NGK plugs. I replaced the Bosh with stock NGK”s and guess what the engine purred like a kitten. I remembered a mechanic telling me many years ago “ Always install the same plugs as the engine left the factory with” Well this experimenting cost me $300 and a few weeks of grief. So what do I do write this off as a costly bad experience or do I go back to the dealer and ask for a credit or write to Bosh and ask them to credit me the $300 after all bosh recommends these plugs as a replacement. Guys if you are running stock engine in your Vette or your daily drivers stick to the factory plugs for your engine

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2004, 03:17 PM

I got my code reader for $35 at Kreagans. I'd never pay $85 to have someone else read codes from my vehicle. I wouldn't even pay $35 cause I can go buy the code reader for that, and the next time it'll be free.

I don't see you mentioning that you checked the gaps on those plugs before you installed them or after you removed them.

What about the old plugs that you took out? How did they look, and what were the gaps?

If I replaced the plugs in my vehicle, and the thing ran like crap, I'd put the old plugs back before screwing with anything else.

Also, are you 100% sure you plugged your cables into those Bosch plugs all the way?

I've always bought the cheapest plugs available and never had a problem with them. And if I ever do, I will always have a mess of old plugs that were good when I took them out available to swap with any problematic plugs as a quick check in the event of any problems. I also keep my old wires, cap and rotor around.

Any problems, and I swap out the ignition system first to see if that fixes it. I've found that to be the quickest and easiest way to diagnose any problems.

(eliminate the simple cheap crap first)

If you are interested in peoples opinions about plugs, check this thread:
http://hotrodders.com/t43805-15--plugs--1.html

Last edited by Terje; 07-22-2004 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

autozone will read your code for free

bottle of injector cleaner and a new filter at autozone will run you about 5 dollars.

You got ripped.

K
Old 07-22-2004, 03:34 PM

For free? Man, I got ripped!
Old 07-22-2004, 08:11 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Bosch Platinum +4's made my SHO run smoother, otherwise no difference. Sounds like you need a new set of spark plug wires as well as plugs.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:22 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

Have you tried restamping the block?
Old 07-22-2004, 09:35 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

Old 07-22-2004, 09:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Don't jump the gun too much...

but this does sound kinda lame. What's the point anyway? Well, I guess some people have less of a life than I do!!!

K

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.