Ranting, and info. needed. Another Demon carb issue. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2008, 10:50 AM
Blowin' it

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Running again...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Ranting, and info. needed. Another Demon carb issue.

How tight should the fuel bowls be? Pulsed the fuel pump until I saw fuel in the sight glasses, then smelled fuel. Trying to fire the engine, but want no fuel leaks. Yes, BG left them loose. So much for the inspector tags on them. Bunch of crap if you ask me.

Anyways, how tight should I tighten the bowls? Snug?

Jason

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2008, 11:16 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

If you are using a screwdriver, snug is fine, providing the gaskets are ok. They "may" have been snug when it was originally put together but over time, the bowl gaskets may have compressed some making the screws a tad loose.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:20 PM
Blowin' it

Last photo:

I got them tightened, each one of the 16 got 3 or 4 turns to snug them up. I have a slight leak at the rear carb, left lower, put a little more on it. I will wait and see. I just really do not want to have to take them off and do work to them, or even worse send them to BG for repairs already.

Man, got it running. Should post the video soon. Sound great, fires off on the first hit without any pumps. Set the timing, and sounds and runs great.

Jason
Old 07-15-2008, 12:18 PM
Technical Support Barry Grant

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41willys
How tight should the fuel bowls be? Pulsed the fuel pump until I saw fuel in the sight glasses, then smelled fuel. Trying to fire the engine, but want no fuel leaks. Yes, BG left them loose. So much for the inspector tags on them. Bunch of crap if you ask me.

Anyways, how tight should I tighten the bowls? Snug?

Jason
We are sorry that you had this issue but as one of the other members mentioned they could have been tight when they left here and the gasket compressed some. Even with this being a new carburetor it is possible as once they are flow tested and go into the box they may see several different temperature changes before you receive it including being in a hot delivery truck. The gaskets can compress since they started as new and now have now been through the flow test as well as a temperature changes which is why we recommend tightening them up on an a new install as well as periodically going over them from time to time. Kinda similar to having to go back and retorque a head gasket after it's first heat cycle.If you still have a gasket leaking send me a pm and I'll be glad to send you out a replacement gasket. If we can be of any further assistance just let us know .
Old 07-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Blowin' it

Last photo:

Thanks for responding BG. I do appreciate that. I was a little upset Saturday, all is good now, the excitement of lighting it off was overwhelming.

Anyways, I am still a little concerned with the way they tighten up. I will tell you that I never bottomed out the 16 screws, they were squeaking and had resistance when turning. I just kept going until the leaks stopped. I was not sure, am not sure how much further I could turn them, no damage desired right now.

Jason

Edit (add) - I sent you a private message, but your inbox is full.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:12 AM
Technical Support Barry Grant

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41willys
Thanks for responding BG. I do appreciate that. I was a little upset Saturday, all is good now, the excitement of lighting it off was overwhelming.

Anyways, I am still a little concerned with the way they tighten up. I will tell you that I never bottomed out the 16 screws, they were squeaking and had resistance when turning. I just kept going until the leaks stopped. I was not sure, am not sure how much further I could turn them, no damage desired right now.

Jason

Edit (add) - I sent you a private message, but your inbox is full.
Sounds like you have them right as they wont bottom and stop. They will tighten and you will feel the resistance and typically have the little squeaking noise like you described. Also cleaned the box out some so you can resend it if needed.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.