Hot Rod Forum banner

Raptor / Raptor jr 700R4

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  fordSR 
#1 ·
does anyone out their run a Raptor or Raptor jr 700R4, and if so what are your thoughts on this trans.

I see M&M has done his homework on the 700, and it has gone to good use, I found myself reading it about two or three times so far.

The Raptor is built by Performance Automotive and Transmission Center in Louisiana and to date I have not found any information on this Co. good or bad.

So I would like to hear from someone who has one of the Rap tors in his or her car or truck.

#2 ·
Raptor 700R45

I have a Raptor 700 in my 3000 lb. street rod, about 445 HP, 2300 stall, 3.73 gears, 28" tires. The specs on this tranny sound real good and when I ordered the tranny I gave them engine hp, weight, etc. ans assumed that out of the box I would be ready to run. After driving it, I found it feels like a stock tranny. By that I mean it doesn't shift any firmer than a stock corvette. The one to two shift is the most firm (as with all the 700R4's) but not what I expected (should have been more firm) To fix the problem they sent me a spring arrangement the goes on the the TV cable at the carb which allows more cable pull-out at part throttle, (more pump pressure) but still allows WOT on the carb because the spring compresses. Seems like a band aid fix to me so I didn't use it. The two to three and three to four shifts are very soft at mid throttle acceleration and occur very quickly. They sent a new govenor to correct a problem that should not have been there in the first place. I feel with information they had about my vehicle, and their assumed experience I expected better. They did offer to fix it if I drive to their shop in Louisanna. I have not installed the gov they sent due to the difficulty involved, drop the rear of the tranny down, remove the distributer for firewall clearance, remove shifter, etc. Would I do it again, I think not. Probably TCI but not sure. Best bet may be to get the parts and install yourself or find a local shop to build up your stock 700R4.

#3 ·
Raptor/Raptor jr 700R4

Fordsr,
Thanks for your input. This was what I was looking for, people who will give a truthful reply to a question. Whether it is good or bad.
I am sorry to here that the Raptor was not the answer for you, and hope either you can make it work or Performance Auto will stand behind their transmission, and make it right.
Thats why its hard to put out this kind of money on a company that is located so far away. Maybe your right just find a reputable transmission re builder in the local area and deal with them. It's easier to take the transmission down the street, rather than across the country.

#7 · (Edited)
I got one there 700's behind my 383 (450hp roughly). Ive just put all this together in my '71 Chevelle. So Im still working out all the last minute (or last month) issues/things. So in answer, I still can say for surtain that for my app. it working great. Give me a few more weeks on that......... But, did have a friend who got me set up with the builder for my engine. My friend has a 383 w/ a NOS system and a 700r4 behind it. To me (key word 'me') it seemed to have a very firm 1-2nd st @ a little under 30mph. All I can say is I was happy with it. I'm sure you can get some a little more firm and tight for all you hardcore strip/track guy. But its a 700r4 = main key points performance overdrive and better MPG's

Stroke

#8 ·
700 r4

I got a 700 r4 from transrus on ebay out of florida. havent used it yet though. IT costed around $750 for the tranny then I had them put the TCI full manual reverse valve body in it. I'm thinking the 1-2 line pressure that the new valve body makes is around 325 psi, that is double what one would normaly be. the higher pressure makes it harder for the clutches to slip. THe valve body also allows you to get rid of the TV cable that is know to destoy 700 r4 if not properly set. THe kit also comes with everything needed to convert the 700 r4 to a non computer car to allow for lockup.

The tranny does have 1 stripped pan bolt hole.

I hope to have it running soon..

#9 ·
Maybe I'm an idealist!!!!!!!

It seems to me that for the kind of money one has to pay when you go to a major advertised builder, such as PATC, TCI, or any of the others, you tell them your application, (street strip or ?) engine and vehicle details, HP, cam, gear ratio's, expectations etc., you should get a custom tranny built to your application. It may be that all these builders, you know, the one's that advertise in the magazines we subscribe to, just build one size fits all. After giving some thought to my earlier post recommeding TCI, I think in the future I will go to a local builder, educate myself as best I can on the right parts to use, and have a warranty where I can easily drive my car for repairs, if necessary. If you buy a tranny from a builder 1000 miles away you will be the one pulling it out, and putting it back in or paying someone to do it. I know there will be some who will pile on about the good luck they had with internet builder x or y but the bottom line is if it's not right, how many hoops will you have to go through to get it right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.