Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - RARE ? 1934 Pontiac 2Dr 5 window Coupe
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2005, 06:37 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,320 Times in 1,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
My guess is there are at least twenty 32 Ford 5 window coupes to every one Pontiac.
LOL, how about ten thousand to one!

I agree with every thing else you said, "rare" doesn't always mean "valuable". It is simple "supply and demand" and there is a MUCH higher demand for Fords than anything else, by MILES and MILES.

Myfiftyone, the thing is, GM used wood structures up until 37. Your body is basically a wood structure with sheet metal nailed to it. 99% of these GM bodies "bloomed" like a rose years ago. I have literally seen these cars parked for years where the body panels like the pedals on a blooming rose fall off around the car!

They were heavier than Fords so they were chosen last for hot rods. The motors were not as popular so they again, where put on the bottom of the list. The bodies fell apart so that along with they were not hot rodded NEARLY as much, I mean THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS of Fords were hot rodded to every non-Ford in the heydays of hot rodding.

Go to a 4000 car Goodguys or NSRA event and you will count only a handful of non-Fords from prior to 38, just a small handful.

NO PARTS innerchange from Ford or even other GM cars. Back then, Olds, Buick, Pontiac,Cad, Chevy really were DIFFERENT cars. Unlike now where other than a few body parts and trim all the same models from each line that share a "body" platform are different. Back then they had different motors, designers and were totally different cars in most cases.

Building your Pontiac will be MUCH more of a challenge than building a Ford. And when you are done it will be worth less. But personally, I like different cars, my brother and I built a 1922 Buick Roadster. It is probably the only one in existance. We have only seen ONE other of this model and it was restored. I is fun to have something different get in touch with other Pontiac owners and you will build a fun different car that will stand out.

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 12-04-2005 at 09:01 PM.