Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   RARE ? 1934 Pontiac 2Dr 5 window Coupe (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/rare-1934-pontiac-2dr-5-window-coupe-75339.html)

my51chevy 12-04-2005 09:35 AM

RARE ? 1934 Pontiac 2Dr 5 window Coupe

My father just found and purchased a 34 Pontiac. Is there any body parts that are inner changable with ford, chevy? Car is pretty soild with not much work to get it going. Are these cars rare?
Thanks

cboy 12-04-2005 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my51chevy
Are these cars rare?

Yes it is relatively rare. But not necessarily highly valuable - at least as a hot rod. My guess is there are at least twenty 32 Ford 5 window coupes to every one Pontiac. From a "rarity" perspective one might conclude that the Pontiac would therefore be much more valuable than the Ford. But in the real world, the opposite is true. The 32' Ford will fetch a much higher dollar than the '32 Pontiac. Now among the pure collector crowd (perfect stock condition) the Pontiac will move up, and might even exceed, the value of the Ford. But among the hot rod crowd, the 32 Ford is still king of the hill. This doesn't mean the Pontiac won't be a great ride. I'm only talking total dollar value here...not the joy of the build or the ride. The truth is, 99% if the folks at HR.Com would give their left arm for a nice 32 Pontiac.

To my knowledge there will be very little interchangeable between the two cars. At least not without significant metal work.

MARTINSR 12-04-2005 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cboy
My guess is there are at least twenty 32 Ford 5 window coupes to every one Pontiac.

LOL, how about ten thousand to one!

I agree with every thing else you said, "rare" doesn't always mean "valuable". It is simple "supply and demand" and there is a MUCH higher demand for Fords than anything else, by MILES and MILES.

Myfiftyone, the thing is, GM used wood structures up until 37. Your body is basically a wood structure with sheet metal nailed to it. 99% of these GM bodies "bloomed" like a rose years ago. I have literally seen these cars parked for years where the body panels like the pedals on a blooming rose fall off around the car!

They were heavier than Fords so they were chosen last for hot rods. The motors were not as popular so they again, where put on the bottom of the list. The bodies fell apart so that along with they were not hot rodded NEARLY as much, I mean THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS of Fords were hot rodded to every non-Ford in the heydays of hot rodding.

Go to a 4000 car Goodguys or NSRA event and you will count only a handful of non-Fords from prior to 38, just a small handful.

NO PARTS innerchange from Ford or even other GM cars. Back then, Olds, Buick, Pontiac,Cad, Chevy really were DIFFERENT cars. Unlike now where other than a few body parts and trim all the same models from each line that share a "body" platform are different. Back then they had different motors, designers and were totally different cars in most cases.

Building your Pontiac will be MUCH more of a challenge than building a Ford. And when you are done it will be worth less. But personally, I like different cars, my brother and I built a 1922 Buick Roadster. It is probably the only one in existance. We have only seen ONE other of this model and it was restored. I is fun to have something different get in touch with other Pontiac owners and you will build a fun different car that will stand out.

Brian

my51chevy 12-04-2005 07:05 PM

Thanks for the replies and I was afraid of this when he bought the car. The car was started to be rebuilt. front and rear discs, 9 inch etc. I see what you mean about the sheet metal and wood etc. You know this car looks just like a ford at first glance and that caught my dads eye. Thanks again and hopefully we can get the car on the road soon unless we decide to sell. Car was bought for $3K maybe he can make a little money on the car?
Until me next post.

vettesplus 05-09-2013 08:25 AM

here is my rare and no value 34 pontiac.....
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...psfbfe641f.jpg

Jallopy 05-10-2013 07:26 AM

Wow that 34 is nice...

jpmillermatic 05-10-2013 10:27 PM

quest que se "no value"?......that thing is gorgeous!

JP

496CHEVY3100 05-11-2013 02:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Personally ,I prefer the Pontiac Buick Cadilliac of that era but that's just me,i built a 33 chevy about 10 years ago ,it also had wood frame interior ,I went to a shop that repairs trailors ( 18 wheeler ) and purchased wall reinforcement ribs bent them into shape welded them in place ,,still had to use some wood around back glass and door frame,to attach interior. ,Just a thought

swvalcon 05-12-2013 02:54 PM

Vettesplus. Seeing as how it has no value why dont I come take it off your hands. NICE CAR.

h0trod 05-15-2013 07:42 AM

the only problem with the 30's GM's is that the body structure is made of wood.
very time consuming replacing it with steel but very satisfying when you roll out with a pre 36 GM.

i have a 30 olds, well.. the cowl and doors off of a 30 olds, with the rear 1/4's of a 31 chevy 5 window coupe. and the back window out of a 36 chevy truck.

im ammazed when people tell me " ive had a car like this, its a plymouth, right?"

Cruzerdog 06-24-2013 10:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my 34 Cabriolet ...wood held up pretty good I am the 3rd owner

malc 06-24-2013 11:36 PM

Old car.....old thread..12-04-2005 :rolleyes:

MRTS33 06-26-2013 09:36 AM

Not to much will interchange with the other GM cars. Rumble seat/trunk lid for Chevy will for a fact. Hood top should fit, sides will be different. Glass, vent windows. Not much else. A lot of 34 Chevy fiberglass stuff is being made that will probably fit but won't be the same as a Pontiac.
Quote:

Originally Posted by vettesplus (Post 1674245)
here is my rare and no value 34 pontiac.....
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...psfbfe641f.jpg

Vette, Nice ride!!!! The chevy grill throws it off a bit. :thumbup:

Too Many Projects 06-28-2013 08:22 AM

I wonder if the original poster will get an email notification that his thread was dug out of the cobwebs...:D

As a side note, I would take the Pontiac over 10 Fords in a heartbeat..... well OK for free I'd take the Fords and then sell them to get a GM...http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/angry/stirthepot.gif

John long 06-28-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Too Many Projects (Post 1689358)
I wonder if the original poster will get an email notification that his thread was dug out of the cobwebs...:D

As a side note, I would take the Pontiac over 10 Fords in a heartbeat..... well OK for free I'd take the Fords and then sell them to get a GM...http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/angry/stirthepot.gif

LOL booooooooo Now I understand your avatar "Too Many Projects..Junk Collector" :mwink:

Just kidding

John