Rat Rod Rant! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2006, 12:59 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Rat Rod Rant!

Now I've got as much respect for the engineering that goes into home built rods (and pro-built) as the next guy but sometimes you see something that makes you just want to stand up and wave the BS flag.

I just received the latest issue of Rod & Custom and on page 96 there's an article that just plain makes me sick. The article is about one guy who builds extreme model A's. Extreme, maybe the case but what really gets me is that one of these "extreme model A's" won two awards at the Autorama this year. One was the "Extreme Best Engineered" trophy and the other was the "Trepanier" award given by Rad Rods by Troy. Here's a pic of the coupe in question. Just so you'll know the radiator is in the trunk and yes it is licensed.

Don't get me wrong, more power to anyone going after trophies but to give a best engineered trophy to a rat rodded coupe that was purposely designed WITHOUT FRONT BRAKES and running slicks in back is ludicrous. I'll admit there was some very interesting engineering that went into the frame of that thing but to give an engineering award to a vehicle that is totally unsafe is just plain STUPID!

Some will say, what's the big deal it's not designed to drive on the street anyway, but that's not the point. When we have major auto shows and big time rod builders giving engineering awards to unsafe designs what signals does that send to the younger guys who are building rat rods. It says that no front brakes with slicks is OK, and we all know that is a very dangerous combination.

In contrast the other rod in the article, built by the same guy is a little "A" pickup that looks to be perfectly safe, slicks and all. That one won a couple awards as well but it's safe and neither were engineering awards.

Maybe I'm getting old but it seems to me that the powers at be in the rodding industry should be leveling accolades, especially engineering awards, on designs that are primarily SAFE and not ridiculously dangerous. I guess any respect I had for Rad Rods by Troy, just went out the window.

OK, I'll get off my soap box now.

Advertisement

Last edited by Centerline; 06-22-2006 at 01:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2006, 01:06 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

geeze, your still on the rat rod rant????

Quote:
It says that no front brakes with slicks is OK, and we all know that is a very dangerous combination.
that's all nhra requires depending on the class. and show me the goober that's gonna run that on the street, and i'll show you a candidate for the darwin.

but alas, your point is made, the goober that would do that, deserves his reward, while the innocent bystander who unfortunately happens to be involved would certainly not be deserving.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:36 PM

Last photo:

I have to say it is dangerous,but I think that car is awesome!!!
Old 06-22-2006, 01:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Somebody say... "danger?"

K
Old 06-22-2006, 05:45 PM

Last journal entry: 99 soft tail standard I painted
Last photo:

Im with you centerline.I think rat rods are retarted.One of my best freinds is 70 years old.He is pre old school.He still builds cars the way he did when he was 20.I asked him about "the good ol days".He said no one ran "rust"The only reason you primered your car was because you couldnt afford,or didnt know how to paint your car.You never ran a wire in a place it would look like crap,and you allways wanted your car to be clean.Seems like now you do stupid stuff,just so others will say"can you belive that guy",and then those same guys will make fun of the guy concerned for his saftey.Glad in not in a "school".
Old 06-22-2006, 07:06 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

todays society rewards bad behavior .

go figure

R

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 06-22-2006, 07:56 PM
Music soothes the soul

Last journal entry: Wiring finished finally
Last photo:

EEK!!! @ killer's pic Putting your manhood on the line right there, jeez!
Old 06-22-2006, 09:04 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilone
Im with you centerline.I think rat rods are retarted.One of my best freinds is 70 years old.He is pre old school.He still builds cars the way he did when he was 20.I asked him about "the good ol days".He said no one ran "rust"The only reason you primered your car was because you couldnt afford,or didnt know how to paint your car.You never ran a wire in a place it would look like crap,and you allways wanted your car to be clean.Seems like now you do stupid stuff,just so others will say"can you belive that guy",and then those same guys will make fun of the guy concerned for his saftey.Glad in not in a "school".
Yea I think cool ratrods are those in primer with homemade brackets and parts and old school speed parts and steelies.Natural surface rust that looks like what would've been on the car in the 50s is cool too.
But those who actually do things to purposly make the car ugly is retarded.You might have seen for instance,a homemade wireing harness with toggle switchs in the old days that would be ratrod'ish.But to deliberatly use frayed wire and run it through the windshield rubber to the coil or something of the like,is just plain UGLY and stupid.
They made there parts outta what they had,but the original hotrodders still took pride in there rides and made things the BEST they could,with what they had.A cobjob would've been as much a cobjob then as now.IMHO

As far as the car in the pic.Throw some drums in the front and a windshield in it and I'll drive it.LOL But is a Hemi really what an original hotrodder would've had??And if one could afford a hemi I don't think they would've had rust on the car,seems a bit uncoordinated..but cool.

Last edited by 78 monte; 06-22-2006 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:12 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I think the guy's a genius

Look at his frame

Old 06-22-2006, 10:50 PM
User

Last photo:

Around here, alot of guys ran rust, barn-paint, or whatever they had for their hot rods. No-one really had bumpers, they did have floors patched with street signs, and straight axles for everything.

Convertibles that were made with hack-saws and axes, and...well some other interesting body mod's. Doors welded shut, alot of roofs cut off, stretched fenders, and crappy welds, etc.

But they were hot rods, and were usually built by kids who were just wanting to do something with a junker. Both my grandpa's did this, and did kill a few cars. And I doubt any of them used primer. It was more actual paint, with some oil over the rust to keep it from getting worse.

Some cars try too hard to be traditional rats. Alot of people couldn't afford or have the skill to chop-tops, or some other body mods i've seen. The most i'd expect is maybe some channeling.

But, I love the look of the traditonal hot rods, and the "Rat" rods. I like the idea of a car that is simple, pretty safe, and your not afraid to have fun with. And that car, the frame is awesome, but I don't know about the brakes...I have thought about not running brakes on a 4-cylinder powered fiberglass T-bucket, but not on an all Steel model-a with a hemi and slicks in the back.

-GF

Last edited by Good Frosty; 06-22-2006 at 10:52 PM. Reason: left something out...
Old 06-22-2006, 11:22 PM
stuff'n things'n whatnot

Last photo:

ratrods blow
Old 06-22-2006, 11:29 PM
Ricer Pusher,not Grill Guard

literally took 5 minutes to download that huge picture on my slow dialup interweb....my interweb is very slow!!! LOL
Old 06-23-2006, 02:46 AM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfire
I think the guy's a genius
Look at his frame
Why would anyone do all that work {nice welding by the way } to have a rusted out looks like you just flipped it out of the going to the press pile POS??? ???

I dun get *** & prob never will
slap some brakes & paint on that & i might take a look it it

R

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 06-23-2006, 07:54 AM

Last photo:

call it what you want......

I like it
Old 06-23-2006, 08:51 AM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Each to his own. If he dont wanna paint it, who's it gonna hurt? Nobody.
If he doesnt want to put on brakes, different story.

I've been watching the build on another board over the year and he does some amazing work. If he wants to cover up that beautiful frame with a rusty body good for him. I like it, and he probably does too. It wont kill nobody. Build what you like, not what other people like.

I'd drive it with a smile

By the way, it wont get any street use

Mike

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.