Hot Rod Forum banner

which ratchet is better?

6K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  HalfOunce 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Since were on the topic of ratchets does anyone have any of the gearless ratchets.

I saw THESE when I was at the store.

They seemed pretty solid, when the store guys weren't around me and a friend tried to make one slip, we put a ton of torque on it and couldn't.

They seem like a real good idea for tight spaces, they have some with shorter handles too. I don't know how well these will hold up, I didn't have enough cash on me at the time to buy any.

If anyone has one of these I would like to know what you think of it.

#6 ·
Craftsman used to build a decent ratchet but lately they've gone down hill. The chinsey chrome jobs on the newer CM ratchets and sockets tend to flake off. I cut myself on a flakey Craftsman socket a while back and almost needed stitches. I hope the pro-grade Craftsman stuff is better then their standard line up. For the money, I'll still go with Mac or Snap-On.

It's money well spent.

#8 ·
Prime, It seems that Craftsman is riding a good reputation from years ago when they were a decent if not pro quality tool and they still have a good following but like you I think they have gone down hill in the last few years and they are nowhere near the quality of Snap-On, Mac or Proto and never have been. Those ratchets are crap IMO and the sockets tend to break too easily along with the fact that the 12 point will strip off and ruin a fastener head much too easily. Most people who have been using the pro grade tools know the difference between Craftsman and real quality and what it means if you have to make a living with your tools. I know they have a good warranty but that does not make them a good tool and that warranty will not mean much when the tool fails in the Field when you need it most.

#9 ·
oldred said:
Prime, It seems that Craftsman is riding a good reputation from years ago when they were a decent if not pro quality tool and they still have a good following but like you I think they have gone down hill in the last few years and they are nowhere near the quality of Snap-On, Mac or Proto and never have been. Those ratchets are crap IMO and the sockets tend to break too easily along with the fact that the 12 point will strip off and ruin a fastener head much too easily. Most people who have been using the pro grade tools know the difference between Craftsman and real quality and what it means if you have to make a living with your tools. I know they have a good warranty but that does not make them a good tool and that warranty will not mean much when the tool fails in the Field when you need it most.
While the standard Craftsman ratchets as well as the pro grade ratchets are nothing great quality wise, the second ratchet listed is very strong. It is not sold in Sears stores and can only be bought on their website or out of the catalog. Also the thin profile 60 tooth series of ratchet is a good quality tool.

#15 ·
I find the fine tooth rachets won't pop into reverse as easily. When you are in one of those tight spots the reverse lever one the coase tooth ratchets are prone to be knocked out of position. The fine tooth ones take more a of puposefull twist to reverse, which can be a good thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.