ratchet shifters - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2003, 05:15 PM
go like he11 machine

Wiki Edits: 0

Post ratchet shifters

im planning on putting swivel buckets in my 76 gmc sprint(el camino). i plan on changing from automatic column shift to a floor shifter. ive came across several ratchet shifters. what is different about ratchet shifters and regular auto shifters? thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2003, 05:25 PM

my opinion ratchet shifters are alot of trouble, if you plan on raceing, thats another thing but for street driving a stock floor shifter works just fine. if your heart is set on a ratchet, dont try to save a few bucks , go for the gold an try displays to find one you can feel comfortable with most are a problem getting out of park. good luck. go trigers.
Old 01-19-2003, 06:36 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I would recommend a gate shifter over a ratchet. I think they are much easier to use. The difference is that a gate shifter has a defined pattern forward a back. A ratchet shifter works like a ratchet. Back and forth to chage gears. It springs back forward after you shift.

Chris

[ January 19, 2003: Message edited by: TurboS10 ]</p>
Old 01-19-2003, 08:29 AM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

I have used the B&M mega shifter in more than one car. The harder I beat that shifter the better she shifted. If looking for a tough as nails shifter that you can slam from gear to gear without any worries about breaking something or ending up in neutral I would recommend the mega shifter anyday. B&M calls it a 'ratchet action' shifter because you literally smack it from gear to gear, but it is not a 'full ratchet' shifter which is why I liked it. I have never had a 'problem' getting a B&M shifter out of Park.

[ January 19, 2003: Message edited by: dmorris1200 ]</p>
Old 04-03-2003, 09:50 PM

I have a B&M ratchet ("slap") shifter and love it! no matter how hard you hammer it, it will only go up 1 gear, it never skips a gear. Really positive feeling, not ambiguous at all. Mine was $149 in summit I think. It work like a regular automatic shifter where you can move it all over until you pull it all the way down into first, then it goes into ratchet mode, where each application of force to the shifter only moves it one notch. You can get it to go back to normal by pulling the forefinger activated release button.
Old 04-03-2003, 11:43 PM

I think there are better racing shifters out there for racing. But, I like B&M's shifters for Street Rods.

I've had a B&M QuickSilver, very simple operation and functions well as a ratchet shifter.

Now I have a MegaShifter and really enjoy it. Functions and operates well, sometimes it sticks a little in Park, but not so bad that I would call it a negative attribute. It's solidly constructed and looks great.

Al
OddsNEnds
<a href="http://www.hawaiianflavor.com/Malibu/malibu.html" target="_blank">It's not perfect, but it's mine.</a>
Old 04-04-2003, 08:18 AM
Just a firefighter

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: New rear rollpan installed
Last photo:

If you want to save a few bucks, I used the B & M Z-Gate shifter in '70 Pont. Firebird I used to street race and weekend race. Never had any problems with it, never missed a shift. And you can pick one up for just under $100 at alot of stores.
Just an idea.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:07 AM

regular shifter can be pushed thru multiple gears and a rachet must have pressure released and then re-applied to go to the next gear
Old 04-06-2003, 11:53 AM
Rebuilding AGAIN!!!!

Last photo:

I run a Pro Ratchet shifter in my Diablo (Elcamino) I really love it, but my car does a lot of track time & with the ratchet you won't miss a gear. I also have a manual shift valve body in my transmission, so I guess that I'm use to my Ratchet shifter, they are great if you are gonna be doing any kind of racing.

Here is what it looks like. In my car.

Old 04-08-2003, 07:48 AM

You dont need a manual valvebody transmission do you? Would a ratchet shifter work fine with a th350 with a b&m shift improver kit?
Old 04-08-2003, 09:09 AM
Just a firefighter

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: New rear rollpan installed
Last photo:

When I was running my Firebird on the street/strip everything worked just fine. Now I was running the B&M Z-gate shifter on a TH350 with a B&M Trans pack kit, 2 steps up from the shift inprover kit. So no you don't need to have a manual valve body for a set-up like that.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:17 PM

A friend of mine just bought a Hurst shifter that steps up through the gears. He said it was very hard to get it out of park so I checked it out. Seems they come with layered springs so I removed 2 and now it works fine. I have 2 B&M shifters, a Quicksilver which is tough, heavy & has a complicated full ratchet system which works well when kept lubricated, the other is narrow, not sure of model name but it has a lever on the front and if you raise the lever it goes out of slap-stick mode, It's light weight and slaps through the gears only up, using gravity mechanisms. I've never used it so I'm not sure if it's as reliable for not missing gears as the Quicksilver sure is.Either way, they're fun to have and cheap at swapmeets or garage sales used.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.