Rattle can spray for leather seats? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2009, 06:01 AM

Last journal entry: Hand brake
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rattle can spray for leather seats?

Do you recommend leather seat re-coloring with rattle can spray?

There are several reputable stores like Tandy Leather etc that sells rattle can leather spray color and they all brag about how good it sticks, that it don't crack or peel etc. Is it really that good?
Any of you tested it and how does it look after some use?

I have a pair of light brown leather seats that I'm planning to use in my hotrod, but i would like to paint them dark brown. I know there ar professionals that can do this, but that's out of my budget.

But if it is a rather large risk for destroying the seats with cracking, peeling paint, I'd rather make the whole interior in light brown instead.
I haven't bought any leather for the rest of the interior yet.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2009, 06:58 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Just like painting, the secret is in the preparation. If you clean the leather correctly, whatever you use will adhere and stay there. Your best bets are SEM Sure Coat and SEM Classic Coat. Classic Coat is aerosols, but there is no dark brown, the colors are matched to interior colors from car manufacturers. Sure Coat is water based and has to be mixed and sprayed with spraying equipment, but any color is possible. Check out this thread for re-coloring leather: CLICK HERE Here is the SEM web site regarding Sure Coat: CLICK HERE

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:02 PM

Last journal entry: T'Bird projectr
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by staleg
Do you recommend leather seat re-coloring with rattle can spray?

There are several reputable stores like Tandy Leather etc that sells rattle can leather spray color and they all brag about how good it sticks, that it don't crack or peel etc. Is it really that good?
Any of you tested it and how does it look after some use?

I have a pair of light brown leather seats that I'm planning to use in my hotrod, but i would like to paint them dark brown. I know there ar professionals that can do this, but that's out of my budget.

But if it is a rather large risk for destroying the seats with cracking, peeling paint, I'd rather make the whole interior in light brown instead.
I haven't bought any leather for the rest of the interior yet.
I know of guys that have horror stories about trying to color leather seats. If they're good, and you can live with the color, it'd be much better to match the other panels to them, as opposed to painting the seats and THEN trying yo match that with other fabric. Just my opinion...
Old 02-06-2009, 06:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
Just like painting, the secret is in the preparation. If you clean the leather correctly, whatever you use will adhere and stay there. Your best bets are SEM Sure Coat and SEM Classic Coat. Classic Coat is aerosols, but there is no dark brown, the colors are matched to interior colors from car manufacturers. Sure Coat is water based and has to be mixed and sprayed with spraying equipment, but any color is possible. Check out this thread for re-coloring leather: CLICK HERE Here is the SEM web site regarding Sure Coat: CLICK HERE
Sem makes a good product I have used it with good results. It is flexible and I haven't seen it crack. But like DanTwoLakes says you have to clean it real good! Sem makes several cleaning agents for this. Remember this, if the leather has ever had any product applied to it that contained silicone you will have to clean it real, real good. Even though I have never seen it peel off I have seen it wear through. Because you can not duplicate the process of dying leather where the die penetrates deep down. But this is not that big of a problem you simply do it again and you can just do the worn area. Now with all of this said and done you may want to just leave the color alone like flynbrian48 has suggested. You can always stick them in the car live with the color until you can have them professionally died. And that is another thing, make sure that they are professionally died because I have seen upholstery shops claim to die them and use the the rattle can process and charge the customer the higher price for dying. Now something else to think about, if you go the rattle can route and then want them professionally dyed later, then I'm not sure if they can be died after something like this has been done to them. Maybe some of these other guys can answer that. But if it were me and the seats didn't cost me that much and the color really bugged me then I would put the sem product on them and ride boley ride!

I hope this helps!
Chris
Old 02-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Personally, I would never try to completely color leather seats, especially if the seats were not brand new. Leather needs to breathe to maintain its character, and that won't happen if you cover the top layer with something. I would do the same thing......match the rest of the interior to the seats. JMHO, do what you want.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:42 PM

Last photo:

acetone

I was watching Trucks and they said to clean w/ acetone before spraying. It opens the grains up and you get a better adhesion. I never tried it.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:09 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

If you use SEM products, clean it with what they recommend, which is SEM Soap followed by SEM Plastic/Leather prep. Follow the instructions to the letter.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Stitching or grease I love it

Last journal entry: Wings and Wheels fly in
Last photo:

SEM refinishing system works great. Have used it for panel matching for 20 years. I have disclosed it to customers when matching original leather panels were either impossible to get or too expensive to make the job cost effective to the owner. I have never had a complaint or an issue.

90% OEM Leather is top coated with a kind Clear Vinyl to add durabilty and to match surrounding Vinyls.

Like it was said before use must use the total package as directed by the instructions.

Use the prescribed prep solvent, it is a mixture of MEK and other prepping chemicals that etch the top coating and allow for color adhesion.

If done wrong you will have a short term solution and another problem.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.