re-coat time for B/C - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2006, 09:27 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

re-coat time for B/C

I am painting a door for a '68 Mustang and I shot the base yesterday evening but I am going to have to re-coat it today due to coverage problems (Nason ). I know it is ok to shoot the clear in 24 hrs or less, even longer from what I have been told, but what about more base? Can it be sprayed without scuffing if it is within the same time window as the clear application? The tech sheet does not say it just says to allow at least 15 mins before clear and that is all it says about drying times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2006, 09:56 AM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

Red, take a white or grey scuff pad, and quickly run over the door.. shouldnt take more than a few minutes at best.. tac rag it off, then spray one coat of your base, let that flash and add your clear today or tomorrow..

I use ppg or pro spray base.. If it were mine, I would tac it off and spray my clear... but then again I dont use any Dupont products and have absolutely no experience with them..

For what it is worth.. as long as the base has set inside a garage and not been in the elements.. it should not be affected and you should be able to spray your clear.. it should be able to set inside for months and be fine... I have my reasons for this logic, but there is already a thread about Dupont products and re coat times, and i honestly dont want to get into a spat with anyone regarding simple opinions..

Sorry Red, it seems my post is vague, but worst case, just scuff lightly and do as i told you in the first paragraph
Old 09-18-2006, 11:35 AM

Last photo:

Since this is just a door and not a large area it is not much of an issue but last year I had a problem that required sanding most of the car to re-coat and while working on this door I started to wonder if all that sanding last year was really necessary because it was only about 24 hrs old also. I had planed to wet sand with 600 like I did the other one but I had not thought about using a Grey pad, that's what I will do. Thanks
Old 09-18-2006, 11:40 AM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

You'll be fine as is. Nason's good for 24 on the recoat. I've shot gallons of it.
Besides, I't's S-L-O-W to dry anyway and I've gone days in some cases.
Only time I'm concerned on the "window" is if I use catylist to lock it up better,that is when I scuff and rebase if out of my 24.
"If" you got some coverage problems that does not surprise me. Hehehe.
You can go either 1:1 or 2:1 and depending on color I adjust accordingly.
I actually end up splitting the difference generally and go 1.5:1 for most of their line.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:35 PM

Last photo:

Bee, You have me wondering about something else here, I aways use the activator (when I use Nason) because the spec sheet says that it is important that it be used and the base MUST be activated however the guy at the paint store says I am about the only one he knows that does this and most just skip the activator so just how important is this stuff? Seems most of these guys are spraying without it with no problems
Old 09-18-2006, 03:31 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

It helps the paint crosslink better. In my case, I'm stacking graphics and what not on top and it provides a more solid foundation.Actually, I use the clear catylist as I'm shooting Nason clear as well instead. Most everyone I know who uses Nason does not use the "activator" either.I've discussed this with my paint supplier,who is VERY good,and he states it's not a requirement.
If I'm doing just a straight paint job,I won't use it.
Kinda your call red. If you feel you need it,then go with it,but IMO,it's not a requirement.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.