Hot Rod Forum banner

? re: idle mix adjustment on 2150 2V carb

4K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  cboy 
#1 ·
This is my first experience with the Ford 2150 2V carb and I can't figure out how to turn the idle mix adjustment screws. They have what I think they call an "idle limiter cap" on the end of each screw. These caps feel like they are spring loaded (you can move them and feel the spring pressure). How, exactly, do you turn the idle adjustment screws with these caps on them?

#2 ·
Unfortunately, the carb is back on the manifold - so they are pretty difficult to get at. Mine appear to be metal and are about the diameter of a nickel. Is there a regular screw head under there if I pry it off? And is there supposed to be a way to adjust the screws with these caps still in place? What the heck is the theory behind these caps anyhow?

#3 · (Edited)
cboy said:
Mine appear to be metal and are about the diameter of a nickel. Is there a regular screw head under there if I pry it off? And is there supposed to be a way to adjust the screws with these caps still in place? What the heck is the theory behind these caps anyhow?
Your style is a two piece sheet metal cup arrangement. There is an inner and outer cup. They snap together. The locking tang is on the outer cup and it snaps into the inner cup. Once the inner cup is removed, competely screw out the mixture screw and you can remove the inner cup.

The idea of this (and the previousy mentioned plastic cap) is to not allow field idle mixture adjustments on an emissions carburetor.

Oh...Do not try and pry them off as it will most likely damage the idle mixture adjustment screws.

#4 ·
KULTULZ said:
Oh...Do not try and pry them off as it will most likely damage the idle mixture adjustment screws.
Thanks Kultulz, as usual, you come through on the Ford questions. Do you recommend pulling the carb off to tackle this or is there a way to find the tangs and remove the outer cap while the carb is still on the manifold.

#5 ·
It would be easier I suppose to remove the carb as you are not quite sure what you are looking at yet. I have an illustration, but am too damn lazy to get my scanner repaired.

It is similiar to two thimbles. The outer piece slides into the inner piece and is retained by two small tabs on the outer piece that slips into two holes in the inner piece.

Now if that makes any sense, you are brighter than I am... :eek:

FORD actually made special service tools to remove the caps (this style and the plastic) for field adjustment. It was a punch with a small slide hammer.

If for some reason you do bend the adjustment screws, use a set from an old 2100/2150/4100.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.