re: Question on T5 swap - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2006, 04:28 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

GM Borg Warner T5 Swap into 66 GMC 1/2 Ton

Hi fellow Rodders

New to the board today. I want to make my 66 GMC street-able swapping out the saginaw 4 speed with grannie 1st gear for a Borg Warner T5 5 speed. I'm currently running an early 80's 305 and understanding adapting a T5 from a 305 camaro will work. I realize a new clutch disk will be needed for the spline. My question is my 66 doesn't have a slave cylinder, and i'm hearing the T5's require this set up to engage the clutch. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
greg

p.s. I have located a good T5 from an 84 camaro without the slave cylinder...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2006, 02:53 PM

re: Question on T5 swap

Hi
I was curious about a hydraulic set up re the T5 and posted it on the forum. I found out what I needed to know. Thanks anyhow to anyone who could have helped. regards
greg
Old 06-30-2006, 10:18 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmac66
Hi
I was curious about a hydraulic set up re the T5 and posted it on the forum. I found out what I needed to know. Thanks anyhow to anyone who could have helped. regards
greg

I would scan the T-5 code lists and determine which T-5 is suitable for your application strength wise. The code list has 3 digit numbers like 178, 204, etc. that are found on a metal tag on the trans and also stamped in black ink letters 1/2 inch high on the side of the transmission case. The list also gives original application of that code.

The code list should be available on this site's knowledge base, or try Google. Sorry I don't have the site info handy.

You will find that the Chevy "World Class" T-5 transmissions lack certain desireable features of strength that the Fords include.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.