Hot Rod Forum banner

Re-using original connectors when re-wiring my 1970 C10

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  EOD Guy 
#1 ·
I've got a 1970 C10 that needs some re-wiring. As much as I'd like to, I can't afford a replacement or aftermarket harness at this minute so I placed and order with Del City to purchase a few different colors of GXL primary wires. I mainly need to replace wires in the chassis and under hood where the PO hacked them up (and replaced it all with red wire :drunk:), although there are a few areas of dash wires I need to also fix where he hacked it up for a stereo. My question is can I re-use the original connectors? Some of them are specialty connectors and I don't know where I can find replacements. I am debating on attempting to disassemble the original connectors or should I just splice in an inch or so from the connector?

#2 ·
In that case, if the original connectors are good, I usually leave a bit of wiring at the factory connector and splice a like colored wire to it. Good water proof crimp or solder and shrink tube.

I once got in an old Grand Prix that had the wiring replaced with Romex solid house wiring!! My old Studebaker was factory wired with mostly all black wires.. three fuses! Worked on military stuff that had all white wires. a small printed number on the end of each wire.

#3 · (Edited)
If you have new terminals, you can use the old connectors. If you don't have new terminals...... sometimes you can remove the wire and terminal from the connector and use a very small and sharpened (I use a sander to make mine very sharp) screwdriver to gently un-crimp the terminal from the wire and insert a new wire. I haven't had good luck re-crimping a used terminal...... so I crimp the best I can, then solder the wire to the terminal. Very time consuming but it can be done.

BTW I use ebay to buy my wire, any color you can think of and sold in 10-20-50-100 foot lengths very affordable.

I buy a lot from this guy......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/14-GAUGE-WI...OWER-REMOTE-/271609724862?hash=item3f3d337fbe

#5 ·
Thanks all! I ordered the wire from Del City, but didn't see the connectors I would need.

I'll probably just splice into the original wires close to the connector in this case, like BOBCRMAN suggested. I can't imagine tracing wires that are all the same color all over the car. Part of the reason I just want to get rid of the mess that was left of the light harnesses on the truck. :D

And while this is a little late, it's not going to hurt using 16 gauge in place of 18 gauge is it? The headlights and taillights both share several of the same color, but the tail lights are 18 gauge (from the factory) and the headlights are 16. I didn't want to order lengths of both so I ordered one 100ft spool of each color.

#6 ·
You can use bigger wire in place of smaller wire(IE 16ga replacing 18 ga, smaller number is bigger wire) with no problem...but don't use smaller wire in place of larger, smaller may not be able to carry the electrical load without having a meltdown.:pain:

Since you are going to re-wire the headlight circuit, now would be the time to upgrade and put the hi and low beams on relays for maximum headlight brightness.

#7 ·
The original plastic connector bodies are Packard 56 series connectors (except the headlight connectors, which are Packard 59 series with larger terminals for higher current carrying). EVERY auto wiring vendor sells the terminals for these. Google Packard 56 terminals.

It is easy to remove the old terminals from the original connector bodies. Don't screw around with splices, just get new terminals. Most of the auto wiring vendors sell the connector bodies also, but some of the specialty bodies are hard to find. Reuse is fine if the plastic is not brittle. The black ones last longer than the white ones. American Autowire is one of many vendors who sell them.

#8 ·
Look for the Packard 56 series connectors. Here's a link to them thru DelCity.
Packard 56 Connectors and Terminals

THE best price on quality wire can be had through the Wire Barn, here:
Welcome to WireBarn - Quality Wire Made in USA
Nate sells the GXL in 25' lengths in 6, 8 and 10 packs in the standard colors. Choose whatever gauge you need. 25' is usually more then enough when doing a small re-wire job like yours. I always have this stuff on hand.
Mark

#10 ·
I've attached pics of the connectors I'm talking about. The male end fits into a hole in the frame.

Is there a list of common terminal ends used on GM vehicles?? I looked at my interior harness and I did see at least one Packard 56 and 59 terminal but a lot of them I can't match up.

Thanks for all the help:thumbup:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.