Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - re wire a Model A
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 04:31 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Rise View Post
I have a 1930 Model A rod. I want to re wire this car. The wiring in the car is safe and completly functional. But, the last owner re wired the car in all the same colored wiring (red). i have an American Auto wire kit, but before I tear out the existing wire I would like some advise,as to weather I should do it in sections or do it all at once. Just wondering if I will be biting of more than I can chew. I have some experience with some wiring but not a complete re wire of a car. Should i farm it out. The is nothing really complicated in the car just the basics, Lights,charging circuit etc.
Thanks for your advise. i just dont want to dig myself into a hole.
Which American Autowire kit did you buy? Hwy 15? If you are planning on using the ignition, headlight, and dimmer switch that comes in the Hwy 15 kit, it is very straight forward. Just wire it per the diagram provided.

Where it gets tricky is if you want to use an original light switch or ignition switch, or if you have a lot of additional electrical accessories, but there are plenty of knowledgeable people here who can help you through the tricky parts.

If there is heat/AC or electric wipers, you're going to want to make sure you understand how they are currently wired. Draw a diagram or take some kind of notes...it will save you a ton of time and frustration when it goes back together.

If the car is as simple like you say, I would go ahead and de-wire the whole car and start with a clean slate rather than trying to rewire in sections.

Good Luck....