READ this if you are from Massachusetts - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2012, 05:57 PM

Last journal entry: My Last Hot Rod
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

READ this if you are from Massachusetts

http://blogs.hotrod.com/massachusett...-bill-358.html Mass has a new law regarding Hot Rods, registration/ titles/ and meeting Emissions laws. plug in this http: I listed above. this does not sound good to me as I am from Massachusetts. My Coupe project will not be done in time to beat their grandfathered date which is April 30 , 2012. After that you will have to meet their terms. hmm I may have to have my project crushed and go back into retirement. I really don't know what the ramifications of this new law. It smells of course.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 08:35 PM

Last photo:

Sounds like an excellent reason to move somewhere with cheaper taxes & fewer dumb laws.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:37 PM

Last photo:

yes

but im to old to get moving now been here when the communists took over massachusetts
Old 03-06-2012, 09:26 PM

Link didn't work for me? anybody else have a problem? I'm from MA so I would like to read about this. What's next? geez!
Old 03-06-2012, 10:23 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by southshore30
Link didn't work for me? anybody else have a problem? I'm from MA so I would like to read about this. What's next? geez!
The link didn't work for me either.

I think this is the link rsfyj was talking about:
http://blogs.hotrod.com/massachusett...-bill-358.html

Here's an excerpt....
Quote:
Under the new law, street rods and custom vehicles are exempted from emissions inspection requirements.; In a compromise made with the state air quality regulators, the measure also provides that specially constructed and replica vehicles which are registered on or before April 30, 2012 will be exempted from emissions inspection requirements.; Specially constructed and replica vehicles registered after April 30, 2012 will be subject to emission control requirements based on the model year and configuration of the engine installed, whether the engine is an original equipment manufacturer’s production engine, rebuilt engine or crate engine.
Sounds to me like the Commonwealth is trying to discourage the use of late model engines in replica cars...??

I must be reading that wrong.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:45 AM

Last photo:

mass law

this is a good reason why hot rodders need to keep an ear pealed for st legislation. i got sick and tired of my st and got involved and had things changed.. not everything i wanted but 80%... if ur not sure how to go about it, then contact SEMA and they will guide u through it... helped me..
Old 03-07-2012, 03:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

I am also from MA and the law is a little grey and may be changed again. Bottom line is the inspection process you need to go through is based on the year of the drive train, specifically the engine. In MA nothing over 15YRS old gets emission inspections. So as long as the drive train you have came out of a 15YR old or older car it will not impact you at all. A good friend of mine is very involved with the inspection program here in MA and the thought is it MAY be extended.

Bottom line is make sure your receipt for the drive line says it is over 15 years old. As a lot get them from the junk yard this should not be an issue. If you buy a new crate engine you may be in trouble.

Chet
Old 03-07-2012, 04:18 PM

Thanks for the clarification. I should be good for now, my jeep is a 82 but the motor is from a 72 Camaro. Our governor sucks in this state, taxes everything!
Old 03-07-2012, 04:36 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by southshore30
Thanks for the clarification. I should be good for now, my jeep is a 82 but the motor is from a 72 Camaro. Our governor sucks in this state, taxes everything!
82 would not need emissions and no inspection stations even open the hood anyway so you should be good. The guys who will be in trouble are the guys building the new Kit Cobras or similar with a brand new engine. They will need to comply with all 2012 emissions standards for that car.
A lot of this is not new and this is what keeps the shady title companies in business.
It is like everything else in this state, so over regulated it is ridiculous. Ever try to buy a gun in this state.

Chet
Old 03-07-2012, 04:42 PM

Last photo:

Thanks

Thanks for the info Chet, I have my Guns I would rather have them than the Rod if it came time for me to choose. I will carry on in hopes I do not run into a road block here in Mass with my Coupe. Mass follows Ca's everystep

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.