Read my plugs - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2013, 06:27 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,146 Times in 945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by david-b View Post
Tech, makes perfect sense. Would have never thought of that. I don't remember the exact shave done by remember it was very little.
Just so everyone reading this is clear on what I'm saying, that's not the head surface I'm talking about. You're saying the shop took a slight skim off the block mating surface of the heads, probably just to make sure it was parallel and would hold a head gasket. The surface I'm talking about is the intake manifold mating surface that was cut by the head manufacturer at the time of manufacture. It could be off by any number of degrees or it could be dead on the money, matching the intake manifold mating surface exactly. Also, consider that the block being machined lolly-gagged could result in the same problem. If one end of the block is higher than the other, (example: block deck height on one bank at the front of the block measures 9.016". Block deck height on the other bank at the front of the block measures 9.026") then when you bolt the heads on, one head is higher than the other and no matter how true the head/manifold mating surfaces are, there is no way in hell that the manifold will seal up to the heads. You have to begin with cutting the block decks on a Tru-Deck mill, exactly 90 degrees apart and exactly parallel with the main bearing bore.

And of course, the heads could be dead-nuts on the money, but the intake manifold could be cut askew. Like I said above, sacrifice a set of gaskets and verify the seal yourself.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
mustang 671 (05-27-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 10:54 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Not saying tech is wrong but running a compression and leak down test is free. I'd start there.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:20 PM
Dave is THAT guy

Last photo:

Wanted to bring this thread back up. After some issues non related to the car, I finally got the plugs regaped to .040" and a fuel pressure gauge in the car. For the first start of the day, the gauge is 0 before any cranking. Then once she gets going, pressure goes to 9psi and stays there. Meanwhile, the car is rich and dies many times without keeping the throttle open some. After she warmed up (don't remember the exact time because was doing other stuff) the gauge was reading just under 5psi and runs like a champ then.

The ONLY change I did in the meantime was add some trans fluid. Pretty sure that didn't make a difference.
Why would it change like? How can I get it to not be at 9psi while warming up? This is a mechanical pump (Holley) doing to an Edlebrock. Had a filter inbetween there, but that's all. Any ideas?
Thanks
Old 05-26-2013, 03:24 PM
Dave is THAT guy

Last photo:

As i been doing more research, I'm wondering... I don't have a fuel return line setup on this car. Have fuel line to pump, pump to filter, filter to carb. Return line is capped. Have a vac line from the tank that ran to emissions canister that is currently kept vented to atmosphere. Seems people have similar problems when fuel return is capped and not vented, however I thought the vac line was sufficient enough. Any ideas?
Old 05-27-2013, 08:44 AM

Last journal entry: A little cancer
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
Just so everyone reading this is clear on what I'm saying, that's not the head surface I'm talking about. You're saying the shop took a slight skim off the block mating surface of the heads, probably just to make sure it was parallel and would hold a head gasket. The surface I'm talking about is the intake manifold mating surface that was cut by the head manufacturer at the time of manufacture. It could be off by any number of degrees or it could be dead on the money, matching the intake manifold mating surface exactly. Also, consider that the block being machined lolly-gagged could result in the same problem. If one end of the block is higher than the other, (example: block deck height on one bank at the front of the block measures 9.016". Block deck height on the other bank at the front of the block measures 9.026") then when you bolt the heads on, one head is higher than the other and no matter how true the head/manifold mating surfaces are, there is no way in hell that the manifold will seal up to the heads. You have to begin with cutting the block decks on a Tru-Deck mill, exactly 90 degrees apart and exactly parallel with the main bearing bore.

And of course, the heads could be dead-nuts on the money, but the intake manifold could be cut askew. Like I said above, sacrifice a set of gaskets and verify the seal yourself.
25 years or so ago we used to put a vacuum Gage on the dipstick tube with engine running and if there was 2 lbs or more of vacuum then went looking for a intake leak (usually found on the valley side of the intake). The engine usually had a cylinder that didn't run. BTW, finding a vacuum Gage that reads in 1 lb increments can be hard to do. Of course these were stock engines with ample vacuum.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
The plot thickens.
If the angle of the heads and the angle of the intake manifold do not match exactly, top to bottom, there is a possibility that the gaskets do not seal the ports on the heads all the way around the ports. If the ports are gapped open a little on the bottom, the motor can suck in oily vapors from the crankcase on the intake stroke. It could be 1 or more cylinders that are affected. Maybe some are sealed up while others are open to the crankcase. Only way to know is to look at the intake gaskets and verify that the gaskets are pinched all the way around the ports. That's why I recommend sacrificing a set of intake gaskets on the initial build. Torque the heads down for the last time, then install and torque the intake manifold. Let it sit overnight, then remove the manifold and examine the gaskets for being pinched all the way around the ports. If they are, great, use another set of new gaskets and torque the manifold on for good. If not, you have some machine work in your future.
have been reading this thread, I think you have a very good point . and I will also do that test . I had oil on 5 and 6 plugs, and now suspect that could be a issue for me . good job !! cheers
Old 05-29-2013, 07:53 AM
Dave is THAT guy

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by david-b View Post
Wanted to bring this thread back up. After some issues non related to the car, I finally got the plugs regaped to .040" and a fuel pressure gauge in the car. For the first start of the day, the gauge is 0 before any cranking. Then once she gets going, pressure goes to 9psi and stays there. Meanwhile, the car is rich and dies many times without keeping the throttle open some. After she warmed up (don't remember the exact time because was doing other stuff) the gauge was reading just under 5psi and runs like a champ then.

The ONLY change I did in the meantime was add some trans fluid. Pretty sure that didn't make a difference.
Why would it change like? How can I get it to not be at 9psi while warming up? This is a mechanical pump (Holley) doing to an Edlebrock. Had a filter inbetween there, but that's all. Any ideas?
Thanks
Anyone have any thoughts on what's going on with this here? I'm stumped as to why it would be changing like this.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.