Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Read this:Your safety is involved
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2006, 04:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Read this:Your safety is involved

I copied this from sonicweb's Journal. Thought everyone should keep an eye out for this type of information.

"Well, while working this weekend on the Studebaker truck, I was working on the body mounts and on the front of the box removing the unnecessary metal to work the front of the box back into it. It seems that I had got some metal in my eye and did not realize it. Yes I was wearing a face shield, but some managed to get past it. Well, went to bed that night, and swore there was something in the left eye. So I went to the bathroom and dug out a piece of grit stand from my lower eyelid. Went to bed. The next morning my eye was burring and sore. Sensitive to light, And looked like pinkeye. So I got some visine (thought it might be welders flash from welding) But no. On Sunday I could barely see. Went into a walk in clinic and the doctor attempted to remove 3 pieces of metal from my eye. She used a hypodermic needle to remove them got 2 of the three. The third one I had to go to a optomologist to have it removed with a drill....yes a drill. There was rust forming around the metal and it and the rust had to be removed. And it just so happens that the metal was dead smack center of the eye. So it's removed, I feel better but my eye is killing me. Not able to drive or see very well. Went to the doctor today and put more medicine in it. I am able to drive now, but will take about 10 days to heal. Lesson learned here is never assume that a face shield is enough! I will be buying some tight fitting goggles for any type of work that would cause debris. I don't care how stupid I look, I'd be more stupid when I am blind."

sonicweb - Hope you are feeling better and that eye has no permanent damage.

sonicweb is building a 47 Studebaker truck on a Dakota chassis. If you are interested to see what he is doing here is a link.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?journalid=22733&action=view#2%20steps% 20forward%204%20steps%20back!