Read this:Your safety is involved - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2006, 02:31 AM
Where's my Sawzall?

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation
Last journal entry: More progress...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Wussies...

Hehehe...

I get stuff in my eyes sometimes. I have a good powerful neodymium magnet stuck to the side of my toolbox. It's about the size of a quarter yet it will lift 30 pounds. Works great for the metal chips/slivers.

Does'nt do anything for the grinding dust off the little cutoff wheels. For that I use a little preventative medicine, and line up what I want to cut, then close my eyes and cut a little bit. I have gotten to the point that 99% of my cuts are dead on the money. Lemme tell you, grinding dust in the eyes is one of the WORST things to have in there, twice as bad as sand....

My plastic-lensed glasses have all kinds of scratches, nicks, and a couple of cutting torch slag pieces embedded in them. All of that stuff got past a full face shield. I have tried the fullface goggles, most times they get steamed up or so covered with garbage that I can't see out of them after 5 minutes...

If you really want to be safe consider the face mask that firefighters use for their airpacks. I am lucky and have a fire dept store close by, there have been times I'll use that and a nomex hood and just run the hose off the mask down inside my sweatshirt collar. Might be worth checking at your local fire department for a mask that is still usable, yet out of date or otherwise past spec for firefighting duties. It's very hard for dirt, rust, or shavings to get past one of those...

Doc

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2006, 02:07 PM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

DrChop gave the best advice,have a magnet around you at all times in your shop.

If you feel like you have gotten something in your eye..DO NOT RUB IT..I know its a natural thing to so but but not only will you scratch your eye up bad but you have a great chance of embedding something in your eye that will require surgery to remove.
Being an Ironworker I deal with this daily,we always have an eye flushing system somewere nearby,thats the best thing to do FIRST,flush it out with clean water as best you can,then use the magnet to pull out any steel slithers
As far as grinding dust the flushing is about the only way to get it out because it is a carbon dust from the grinding wheels
Goggles are a pain in the arse because of them fogging up but they are the BEST protection
I use my welding shield for grinding with tight fitting safety glasses behind it,most welding sheilds have a flip up lense for grinding or chipping slag off after a weld,a weld sheild surrounds your face,under the chin & somewhat around the top of your head & ive found out they work better then most clear face sheilds
ALWAYS think safety in no matter what you are doing,I know a few guys who had the attitude"just git r dunnn!..& didnt take that extra minute or less to be safe & now those guys have to deal with learning to see out of one eye

In my line of work we have a thing called S.T.A.R...
Stop
Think
Act
Reveiw

Stop & think about what you are going to do,safety issues and planning the best way to do it
Think about your surroundings & if you are going to hurt anyone nearby,or even destroy something else in the surrounding area or start a fire while welding or grinding
Act in the situation with a clear & focused mind on what you are doing
Reveiw the whole thing in your mind what you have done & 99% of the time you'll figure out you probably could of done it easier,safer & more sufficeint than you did,next time you do this task you'll be better experienced & know what to do to make it better next time

FIRST thing in ANYTHING you do is..SAFETY,i dont think YOU or your family would really enjoy havin you lose a limb,eye.etc or even have to be at your funeral because you was being a tough guy & just"git r dunn"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.