Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Reading E3 spark plugs (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/reading-e3-spark-plugs-185786.html)

XNTRCI-T 10-10-2010 10:46 AM

Reading E3 spark plugs

1 Attachment(s)
Last plug replacement I decided to try the E3s. This is in a 6-71-huffed 355 SBC with 2x Edel 1405s tuned a little rich, Comp "blower" cam, MSD 6AL (5600 pill) & billet distro in a T-bucket (click avatar for a bigger pic). I don't drive this car hard at all, but will do the occasional rolling burn-out. The plugs have a little under 2,000 miles on them. Now I know how to read regular plugs, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what these are telling me. The electrodes look rusty. I just drove the car yesterday afternoon and it's running great. BTW, the 1-3-5-7 plugs look exactly the same. What do you all think? (BTW the stuff that looks like carbon build-up at the base of the threads is copper anti-seize)

JeffB 10-10-2010 11:42 AM

As much as these plugs have been advertised as "cleaner burning" with only 2,000 miles I would have my doubts,I would email the company with this photo and get their opinion,please be sure and post their response I am sure many folks here will be interested.

4 Jaw Chuck 10-10-2010 12:38 PM

You can't read those in the conventional sense of the word, use a standard set of plugs and switch over when you get it right.

Talk about flame kernel shrouding!

DoubleVision 10-10-2010 01:04 PM

"Miracle" plugs as I call them as that`s what the company`s want us to believe. The tan color usually indicates normal, but on a blown engine that may not be the case. Because so much metal extends into the combustion chamber of this plug is likely why the plug is so discolored as it`s in the middle of where all the heat takes place. When my father got one for his weed eater and I was later tuning the carb I checked the plug and saw similiar to the same thing so I`d say it`s normal. Being it`s running good then I`d say the plugs are good.

XNTRCI-T 10-11-2010 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4 Jaw Chuck
You can't read those in the conventional sense of the word, use a standard set of plugs and switch over when you get it right.

I had normal plugs in it for several years and they read a little rich, which is where I want it for detonation margin.

The previous set of plugs got majorly fouled when I had a stuck-open float valve and had to drive the car about 10 miles with clouds of black smoke pouring out the side pipes to get it home. I was too lazy to try and clean the plugs and it's only a block to Autozombies, so I popped down there and picked up the E3s just out of curiosity. I didn't really expect any noticeable changes in performance, and that was certainly the case.

I e-mailed the pic to E3 this morning. We'll see if I even get a response! I'll let y'all know.

XNTRCI-T 10-19-2010 01:45 PM

Well, it's been a week since I e-mailed E3, and guess what? No response! Is anyone here surprised? Oh well, back to regular plugs next season.

JeffB 10-21-2010 10:27 AM

You might try the AC Rapidfire plugs I have had excellent luck with those in a built 350 Chev I had so tried them in a '94 Ranger and '91 T-Bird daily driver and picked up 2-3 MPG and they ran noticably smoother the T-Bird with 133K passed emissions with almost 2/3 less than required :thumbup: As for the E3's would Horsepower TV lie to us? Oh the shame! :rolleyes:

FastOrange 10-21-2010 11:04 AM

AC Delco or NGK's are great plugs, i think this E3 is just hype.