Reading my spark plugs. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2005, 09:17 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Reading my spark plugs.

I took out all the 8 spark plugs to clean them and ran the motor afterwards for two 60-80 miles runs. This fresh 383 stroker consumes about 1/4 at evey 4-500 miles and my idea was to clean the sparks,wich are champion 12Y with about 1000 miles on them,so I could read them after a precise mileage and use wich was just mild open road 60-75 MPH around 2400-2600 constant RPMs very little if none idling at all,but few bursts to 4500 under accelerations.

I took out and checked only the passengers side and all of those revealed a similar coloration: It is like the sparks would be cut in half having one side pale brown close to white (like a bit hot) and the other side would be dark like too rich; none of the ordinary solid black carbon deposits the oil burning normally leave..just kind of soothy.it'S like there are two separated heat range within the same chamber! I think the oil burning problem is linked to this but can't really figure out how it happens!

Someone can tell me?
thanks,Ronald.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2005, 09:25 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

You need to mark the plugs with a sharpie or similar while they are in the engine. Remove the plug wires and mark the top or bottom--which ever is easier for you--(this will be after you have run it for a while) If the soot is on the top of the porcelin, your valve guides are at fault--if its on the bottom, it will be your rings haven't seated yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.