ready to purchase a hobbyair system - anyone have one? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2011, 10:21 AM
1968 Ford Mustang - beginner

Last journal entry: garage work
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

ready to purchase a hobbyair system - anyone have one?

hello all,

i am about ready to purchase a hobby air system for doing painting on my project restoration.

if anyone has one of these units - can you please give me input on the following:

1) what type of mask did you buy with your unit and do you like it - i am thinking the full hood would be best - but not sure?

2) what type of system did you get, they come in a few different flavors (hobby-air I, hobby-air II).

3) what length of hose did you get?

4) where did you purchase your unit - i see eastwood and TPC Global have them for sale - but want to make sure i am dealing with a good rep.

5) any other feedback you can provide for the "newbie".

thank you for any and all advice / direction

mark

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2011, 11:27 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I had the Hobby Aire - which one? I don't recall and I sold it to a buddy so he could paint his car so no longer have easy access

I used the full hood - overspray can still penetrate through the eye membranes and 'poison' you. They will try to sell you more mask tear offs. I didn't buy them but they were supplied anyhow. Saran wrap works as well for an occasional painter

As far as the hose - I got their shortest but used an RV water hose instead - 50 footer. Same fittings, plenty of air. Never even unrolled theirs.

I don't buy anything from Eastwood!!

The unit air intake must be placed in a clean environment, not the same room as you are painting. I plumbed mine through the cellar floor joist to my shop, ensuring clean, cool air.

You will need one or two Tyvek shoot suits, a box of nitrile gloves and foot coverings if you don't want your shoes to end up the same color as the car.

As far as how I did it, do a search, mid 2009, under my name.

It worked for me while others will have different thoughts on how to use this tool.

Dave W
Old 10-05-2011, 12:56 PM

Last photo:

wow!

i am so happy, a buddy of mine pointed me to this site. the information i receive up here - is invaluable.

this is EXACTLY the type of feed back i am looking for

thank you very much,
mark
Old 10-05-2011, 01:32 PM

Last photo:

hello,

you mentioned that you used an RV water hose - because the fitting were identical.

can you tell me why you use this type of hose in stead of the one supplied by hobbyair?

can you send me a link for RV water hose ? i have never seen this type of hose and not sure where you would get one (seriously - i am not much of a camper

thank you,
mark
Old 10-05-2011, 01:51 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeky2
hello,

you mentioned that you used an RV water hose - because the fitting were identical.

can you tell me why you use this type of hose in stead of the one supplied by hobbyair?

can you send me a link for RV water hose ? i have never seen this type of hose and not sure where you would get one (seriously - i am not much of a camper

thank you,
mark
I used it for a couple of reasons - it is light and easily moved around and slung over your shoulder plus I had a 50 foot length available in my camper supplies.

As far as where you can buy it - any Wal Mart or Camping World
Old 10-05-2011, 02:04 PM

Last photo:

hello,

thanks for the reply.

sorry - i keep thinking of things i need to know / ask...

should i be wearing a cartridge respirator inside of my hood? when i say cartridge respirator - i mean the 3M type that i wear over my face when i am sanding or welding - like this one:

cartridge respirator

thank you,
mark
Old 10-05-2011, 02:16 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

If you are using a forced air system such as the hobby air or similar you will not need anything else..

Sam
Old 10-05-2011, 02:51 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

those things are good to spray cause you don't have to worry about as much contaminants or dust. I recall very little over spray using one. They sprayed better than I expected. When you first look at one you're like, "What the hell is this?", but when you spray it and get used to it you become fond of it.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:58 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

I've had a Hobby Air system for about 14 years. Works flawlessly. I use the simple face mask that came with my system and have had no problems with this mask at all. The hose that came with mine is 25 foot and light as a feather. Here's a pic of the hose (at the far end). Simply plumed it through the plastic sheeting and left the unit out in the fresh air.

Its a great tool to have if you will be painting the occasional car in your garage. I've done three and used it every time. Did this one about 10 days ago.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

“If money is what makes cars fast, mine otta be going 400 miles an hour!". - Felix Sabates
Old 10-05-2011, 06:25 PM

Last photo:

Centerline, here I go again, Last question (ye right) With me having my one car garage which is all insulated w/ plastic, covering my ceiling (only 10 ft high), my lites I have in there are all bulbs, 2 at the top and 2 on each side of the walls. What would be my best way for my best lighting, safety and of course the cheapest? Thanks again Dana.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:50 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39chevy
Centerline, here I go again, Last question (ye right) With me having my one car garage which is all insulated w/ plastic, covering my ceiling (only 10 ft high), my lites I have in there are all bulbs, 2 at the top and 2 on each side of the walls. What would be my best way for my best lighting, safety and of course the cheapest? Thanks again Dana.
I use the cheap lights you can pick up at any hardware store with 100 watt bulbs.

As far as how many.... As many as you can get in there. The more light you have the better.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

The most important things you learn are those things you learn AFTER you know it all. -- Chip Foose
Old 10-05-2011, 08:38 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

I use a Hobby Air system with the full hood and short (40' ?) hose. As Dave mentions, you'll also need a full paint suit which you can buy in a throw-away style or a washable-reusable style. I have the reusable. Also you need to cover your hands with gloves and your feet with booties...which usually come with the paint suit. Don't let anybody kid you. The danger of these paints is not just inhalation. You can absorb the bad stuff through your skin and even through your eyeballs. So everything needs to be covered if you want to be totally safe.

One word of caution. I would never paint without my remote air system. But you should know in advance that it is a major PIA to deal with the air hose, particularly if you are in tight quarters or you have to spray in odd places like from inside the car. You'll be lugging around behind you not just your sprayer hose but your fresh air hose. And as you walk around the car or climb a ladder to spray a roof or make any other movements around the car, these hoses will become entangled with ANYTHING left on the floor (like light stands, ladders, wheels & tires etc.) as well as becoming entangled with themselves. The hoses are also magnets that seek out wet paint like a guided missal. If a hose CAN get into fresh paint...it WILL get into fresh paint.

All that to say, when using a fresh air system you need to think through your paint job logistically BEFORE you start and you need to plan for where those hoses are going to be at all times.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:30 PM

Last photo:

cboy,

you make a great point about looking at the logistics of the painting process. great advice!

centerline,

thank you. my situation is similar. i am only a hobbyist doing this on an occasional basis (may be once every 18 - 24 months). sounds like the hobbyair is the perfect way to go for me.

thank you to everyone for all of the great advice!

i'll probably order my system within a few days. i have my paint booth built already (using 1 bay of my garage). i also plumbed all of my piping for my compressor lines and installed the dry air desiccant system last weekend.

i am only a newbie with my fist car. if anyone is interested - here is a link to site with all of my pictures so far. the most current are the pictures under paint_booth

my first project car - 1968 mustang

thank you,
mark
Old 10-06-2011, 01:24 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

I think another point is worth mentioning and that's to get at least a stage 3 system. I got away with a stage two system but was only doing spot jobs at the time. I imagine for a complete you'd need a stage 3 or 4. Anyone care to comment on this?
Old 10-06-2011, 04:43 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69
I think another point is worth mentioning and that's to get at least a stage 3 system. I got away with a stage two system but was only doing spot jobs at the time. I imagine for a complete you'd need a stage 3 or 4. Anyone care to comment on this?
the OP is talking about a supplied air breathing unit. I believe you are referring to a turbine spray unit.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.