Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ready to be set straight!
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 07:00 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ready to be set straight!

Happy to finally join after reading the threads on here for so long.

Ok,

After reading many threads on here and other forums, I decided to post my options for my build and hope to gain some answers or atleast opinions. I am ready to get bashed for atleast one option. I'm sure it will be eviddent. This is not my first build, but my first with these options/dilemmas.

I am back from messing with British cars and picked up a 47 Aerosedan. It is in the same build stage as I received it 2 mos ago. The body is in solid shape with minimal body work and the frame is really clean/solid. It is missing pretty much all of the trim, door handles, bumpers, , front splash pan, hood baffle/latch, and the entire interior except the dash/steering, which is in tact. The grill is there but was stripped/glazed. The window mech. parts are there as well as a few others. Basically all of the meat is there. It is equipped with a 54 belair 235(Y)originally powerglide motor) and the original 3speed/torquetube setup. It would probably run with a little attention, it's very clean in and out. Not sure if the PO used the orig 219 flywheel/starter.

I have decided that yes it does have a good solid body, but most of the original shiny parts are gone, so why not make it a nice rod/mod driver. I have 7mos. old son now, so I would like to it to be functional and safe as well.

My initial thoughts suspension wise were for a Mustang II front end, new column, and posey rear susp. with a 10 bolt rear. Engine wise I would like to build another 350 with th350 or t5. But being a frugal father now, it is tougher for me to afford this type of package in the quick fashion I like to work on things. Slow down?

The next thought was to rebuild and lower the stock suspension. The rebuild lits for these front ends is a little money as well as the rear susp. Steering and brakes not sure. Engine wise, I would still like to do a 350 build, so there's the cost of setting that up as well. Or I could keep the 235, get an adapter for a th350/700 and throw in a rear.

The third option, which will be frowned upon for sure, but gives me a lot of parts is a frame swap with a 73-77 Monte or Grand Prix. I thought with this I get an updated suspension/steering/brakes, ease of parts at local retailers, a whole drivetrain, interior seats, and electrical. All this stuff for a pretty reasonable price considering the other options. I know there is a lot of work involved with a swap and it doesn't discourage me at all.

I am know most of you have answered this question to many others. I wrote this because most of the other guys asking these questions had different cars or different circumstances. With the car missing all the chrome I cannot afford, I would like a good looking cruiser. I would just like to find which would be considered best for my situation and where to aquire said parts reasonably.

Thanks in advance,

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-22_18-10-33_829.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	69621   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-12-02_13-03-12_366.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	69622