ready for spring and got some questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2007, 04:11 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

ready for spring and got some questions

hey guys i got some questions about my motor. its a 355 chevy motor-cola crankshaft-manley rods-wiseco pistons-1.94 gm heads-elgin pro stock cam specs are 230-230@50-480 gross lift rpm power good from 3000-6500-victor jr intake with 2 inch spacer-holley 650 cfm vac.sec carb-proform geardrive-tci street ratteler damper. well im ready to get this car going this spring after buying it from my uncle 2 years ago. but im kinda discouraged about my compression and my rings on the pistons. this car hasnt seen but maybe 5 miles street time since the motor was built 4 maybe 5 years ago. my uncle would start it up maybe 3 or 4 times a month before i bought it. well since then i have i bought the car and did bodywork and suspension work to it plus so minor bolt-ons. i ran across this 750 hp double pumper carb and put it on and it was way to big so i went to a 600 or 650 barry grant carb nothing but problems with both carbs so i switched back to the 650 holley and eveything is fine. the motor revs easy idles awesome and sounds healthy... but its smoking alot out of the drivers side more than the passenger side... it smells really rich and my oil smells of gas really bad so much that its thin. i know i need to change oil and the plugs. i guess my question is how can i tell if my rings are toast or not??? i did a compression check last night and i got 130 psi in evey cylinder is that good or bad ??? these 194 heads im running are 76 cc chambers. or is this just a case that i need to drive the car and until then not let it sit there and just idle all the time? SORRY FOR LONG THREAD..... THANKS CURTIS

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2007, 04:19 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

130 would be fine for a stock '72 Buick.
I don't mean for that to sound like a smart-*** answer either, that's just the naked truth of it. Change the oil and drive it for a while, then re-test. Do your compression test with the motor hot, all plugs removed and the primary throttle blades wired open. Oh yeah, and disable the coil.

My best thinkin' would be that you've overcammed the motor for the available static compression ratio.

Last edited by techinspector1; 03-09-2007 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:27 PM
"May the Schwartz be with you"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: Finally getting going...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Just starting an engine a few times a month will not break it in. Go out and get some miles on it then retest.

If you just run an engine like this you take the chance of washing down the cylinders with fuel and messing up the proper break-in cycle.

Get out to a deserted country road, accelerate hard from 30 - 60 then let off back to 30...do this a bunch...it will help set the rings.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:29 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

I think you're going to be tearing this one down for a honing and re ring. Valve seals are pooched too. Valves may be leaking too.
That Elgin cam and Vic Jr. wants 10:1 compression a 2800 to 3500stall and lots of gear. Will want a modified ignition curve with much more than stock initial timing. (20 to 24deg at idle.)
If your 76cc heads are stock smoggers and the motor has flat top piston the cr will be too low. (check the casting numbers under the valve cover) Change the cam or change the compression ratio. That cam does not like a stock smogger head (882,624,993 etc) or low compression. If you have stock smogger heads and low compression install a smaller cam. You'll go faster.
Cranking compression with a fully charged battery and a good starter motor and WOT should be 180lbs for a healthy high performance pump gas motor.
Anything less than 150 is suspect. 130 is way too low.
Add a teaspoon of motor oil into the spark plug hole, spin the motor over a few times to get the oil into the rings and retest to see if the rings are the problem. If they are leaking, the compression test will come right up. (150+)If not the valves are leaking. Listen down the carb for air leaking past the closed valves. If its not the rings or valves leaking air, then the camshaft is installed wrong or the compression ratio is very low.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:27 PM

motor

i have a hughes turbo 350 tranny and a hughes 3500 converter 3.73 richmond gears.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:23 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast79malibu
i have a hughes turbo 350 tranny and a hughes 3500 converter 3.73 richmond gears.
As far as that goes you are good to go.

The low compression test is a real issue thou.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.