the real cost of replacing a engine - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 05:28 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

the real cost of replacing a engine

Hey guys I'm just after some questions I am doing all thus work for no charge other then parts my questuion is how much would someone say this would cost 15 a hour complete engine rebuild minus heads witch will get new seals removal of old engine swap intake claen and redo engine bay.... Maybe rebuild carb, install new gas tank and lines, install new engine also not just reuse the parts but paint, prep etc as well as clean and rebuild everything keep in mind I did none of the mechine work and they paided for the rebuild kit, produces and mechining any idea at all a said and done guess??

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 05:38 PM

Our shop rate is 95/hour.
Race engines are not standard times. to blue print an engine can take 40 plus hours to properly assemble an engine.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:44 PM

Well I am taking my time making her tons of notes keeping all recites and lots of research

I'm just asking abouyt labour even. How much would u charge all said and done and this is a standard rebuild with minor upgraded parts and I'm doing a complete swap and preping and painting everything so it will look line new not to mension maybe rebuilding the carb and replacing the gas tank and maybe other lil things just seein a ball park so I can say u saved anout this much and if it helps we have spent

350 for 3 blocks 3 cranks 2 sets of rods, balancer and flex plate 400 sbc
Meching with tax all said and done I think 890
Rebuild kit was 420
Old 11-12-2012, 06:04 PM

no one but you can value your time. G.M. assembles new engines in minutes. Rebuilders do it in a couple hours. Machines do a lot of work for us.
Look at what a rebuilder will sell that engine for and take away the value of the parts,that will get you close though likely a little low.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:09 PM

Well this is not my first timing doing this so I am doing it fast but taking time I'm just looking at maybe book numbers on it
Old 11-12-2012, 06:36 PM

look at the site that shops use here in Canada,
"shop key" it will tell you shop times for most everything
Old 11-12-2012, 06:55 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: 360 mopar
Last photo:

Small block or big block chevy stock rebuild 19 hrs no machine work broken studs or bolts etc extra. A Blue print 40 or more hrs as Vinnie said! A custom race blue print over 80 hrs! All machine work and new parts extra on all builds!

A valve job is usually done needed or not on a Guaranteed rebuild depending on Customer! ( But its better to talk him into it!!!!)

Doing the short block and not the heads is dumb!

How many engines have you done?
Thats start to Finnish from the time the engine is pulled till its ready to put in the chassis!
Anything added is Time & material!

Jester

Last edited by painted jester; 11-12-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:11 PM

This is the 3rd one I have done and I would do the heads but I'm trying to save her as much cash as I can
Old 11-13-2012, 05:07 PM

You dont save any money doing an incomplete job. Take the heads apart,check and measure valves and guides,check springs,replace seals as a bare minimum. Ive even knurled a couple guides rather than replace all of them,but at least repair as required
Old 11-13-2012, 05:13 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistagoodbadguy View Post
This is the 3rd one I have done and I would do the heads but I'm trying to save her as much cash as I can
Cheapest way hands down to get a regular car back on the road is a junk yard engine. Most junk yards will even install it for you. I know sounds bad but they will warranty there own installs usally and will make sure to use a low mile motor. Even older cars if you got to go to work its cheap and they will have it ready to drive to work in a day or two.

Not real sure about your goal here. What type of car and engine? Also a lot of the work you mentioned is the work you kinda have to do your self. Mechanic is not going to paint your engine compartment unless you pay them its going to cost you some bucks to get all that stuff done at a busy shop. Now if your not i. Any hurry maybe a shop can make you a deal but not likley in most urban areas. There is no flat rate book that covers rattle canning the engine compartment. So a normal flat rate mech will not want to do any of this pretty work that is not part of the regular job. Because his boss is not going to pay him fairly for the hours he will work. Hope that make since. Mech work for hours but not hours in the day its hour the job calls for and only really making any money if they can do the job a 4 hour job in less than 3 and get another car on the lift still getting paid 4 hours labor and completeing all jobs for the day below rate. So basicly a good mechanic will spend most of the day on the job and his boss will only pay him for 4 hours. The reason a good mechanic is always in a hurry. So basicly no real way to estimate it like normal auto job.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.