Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - real gear welder 140 mig
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 11:11 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Mine works great.

I have a Lincoln Mig Pak 10 (90 amp wire feeder with FCAW and GMAW capability) that has been in my garage since 2001 and still works like a charm, absolutely great for light duty but found it was not hot enough for anything above 3/16 and when welding heavier materials it would shut down due to exceeding duty cycle if I were welding anything long like 6 inches or more at max setting.. I found one of these Real Gear 140 units in a local buy and sell for $250.00, it looked like new and was hardly used, original roll of hardwire was only 1/2 gone, problem was the guy who had wasn't a welder and didn't understand amperage requirement of this unit, it was running it on a 15amp circuit so he thought it was junk as it wouldn't weld very good for him, I tried the machine and found it running very cold but since it wasn't getting enough amperage to start with I took a chance and got it, it actually requires a dedicated min 20 amp 110V circuit to run properly which I have installed in my garage, I am very impressed so far, it is a Lincoln knock off and therefore uses all the Lincoln consumable parts like nozzles and tips, not sure about liners, or whips, I will try and swap my whip from my Lincoln and see if they are compatible. I have gone through 5 10lb rolls of .035 FCAW wire so far and this welder has only shut down once from exceeding the duty cycle, was welding a combination of steels from 1/8 up to 3/8 with no problems and great penetration. This welder came with a gas setup but I use it for FCAW all the time and now leave my Lincoln setup for GMAW all the time. Personally I like it but as stated these units are kinda like the old fords of the 60's and 70's, one is great and the next is a lemon, they are very reasonably priced. Good luck.

Last edited by jfl1960; 03-01-2012 at 11:20 AM.