Is it really the Alternator - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2005, 09:42 PM

Last journal entry: Ontario Camaro Nationals 2008
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Is it really the Alternator

Ok The Battery in my 87 Camaro Project kept going Dead so I Did a search and found the information about hooking up the amp meter from the negative side of the battery to the negative battery cable. As soon as I hooked it up it read 9.8 Milli amps. I started pulling fuses and the only one that made any difference was the one for the hazard lights. When I pulled it the meter dropped to 9.1 Milli amps. Since this did not appear to be the problem I went around and tugged on wires etc. etc. still could not get the meter to fall below 9.8 Milli amps.

Finally I pulled the plug with the two wires in it out of the side of the alternator. I think one wire is for the gauge in the dash and the other goes to the positive terminal on the back of the alternator. When I pulled this wire the meter immediately fell to 0.8 Milli amps. I then went and pulled the fuse for the hazard lights and mete read 0.0

So the question is two fold first of all does this mean the alternator was the culprit that was draining the battery and simply replacing it will fix the problem.

Secondly is the 0.8 draw from the hazard lights normal or should I try and find the problem with that circuit. If I need to find that problem also any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Ric

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2005, 10:20 PM
Ground Clearance Is Over-Rated

Last photo:

To be honest, I have had to put alternators in all of my cars, and every time that my battery goes dead, the alternator has been the problem. If you dont remember the last time that you put one in, thats how you know you need one. I might just be old fashioned, but it has never steered me wrong. I just suck it up, spend the $50 and the problem gets fixed. I'd say that it was only a Chevy thing, but I just did the same in my Toyota mud truck, and that fixed the problem. Check for warning lights on the dash board, as when a certain number of them come on at once, then it is similar to a code as to what is wrong. The codes are found in the manual, and that might help. best of luck. Sam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2005, 06:54 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Alternator

Doc here,

You have a bad Diode pack in the alternator..One or more are reverse biasing and imposing a load on the battery just sitting...

This also effects the altenator output..because one of the diodes is bad, It's not fully rectifying the AC generated from the alternator to fully useful DC..thus lowering the output slightly in DC and 3 to 4 volts useless AC...so in addition to the load...it's not charging at 14.4..volts DC.

You can either replace the alternator or the diodes..whichever you feel most comfortable with..up to you and only about a $20 difference.

The reaming 0.8 is in the ballpark, If not a bit high..0.3 is good...and you might have your CD memory fuse and The Computer keep alive on that line too Also any mechanical clock...

I think you should be able to get by with 0.8 after you correct the alternator.

Doc
Old 06-17-2005, 09:25 AM

Last photo:

Thanks Doc

I will probably just get the new alternator.

Ric
Old 06-19-2005, 06:51 PM

Last photo:

Got the new alternator it draws .68 milli amps.

Ric
Old 06-19-2005, 07:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

fuses

Doc here,

0.6 is still a bit high..but livable...

Try pulling the Clock fuse, (if you have one) and locate the computer memory and power fuse, and pull that..If you have a CD with memory presets..unplug the harness at the radio..

Check your draw again..It should be at ZERO...If it is , It's all good!

Either way, you should be over the "Dead Battery" syndrome now..

If you have a Mechanical clock, and a CD with time display, just pull the mechanical clock fuse and run without it..that should bring it back to about 0.3 MA...and your clock will still function years from now when you go to sell the car..

Keep us posted!

Doc
Old 06-21-2005, 10:00 PM
Ready2Ride

Last photo:

Battery will always have a small draw on it

Hi I hope everything has worked out for you but keep in mind that not all cars are the same obiviously......depending on what accessories you have hooked up on your car .68 should be fine. Apparently it was the alternator which in most cases the simpliest thing was to replace it(which you did LoL) unless you know what you are doing lol and most of us just know the basics plus some.......right?!?

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.