A really bad day with a car :/ Please help if ya can - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2003, 07:39 PM
Military Mechanic

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

A really bad day with a car :/ Please help if ya can

Well I finally got around to checking the casting numbers on my new 79 camaro and got some really bad news. The block was supposed to be a 350 is in actuality a truck 305 with over 100k miles on it. The only good news is that the guy who my friend bought it from is being really nice and giving him a 350 short block to replace it with since he sold it to my friend telling him it was a 350 and he just didn't check there.

Now my dilemna is that I have 3 engine choices. Keep the 305, use the 327 I have in the house that might be one of the 300hp/327's but I can tell becuase none of the casting numbers are that explainable or just build the 350 up.

I'm on such a tight budget I'm willing to go the cheapest route. The 327 I have is complete from pan to intake. I would probably only have to buy a gasket set and some pushrods and rocker arms.

The 305 is complete and running in the car right now somewhat decently but needs to be rebuilt since it's spitting quite a bit oilly smoke from piston rings that need to be redone.

The 350 is in as of right now an unknown condition since I can't go get it till this weekend and it will be headless.

The casting numbers I have are as follows :

305 block : 14016383...305...80-85...2...Truck
305 head : 376450.....75-81...262/267/305..6 or 7 exhaust bolt holes, 60cc chamber

327 block : 3914678....327.....68....2
327 head : 3911032....68......307/327......70cc chamber

350 block : unknown

The 327 block is down to pistons and crank right now. I took the cam and lifters out and would probably have to replace them. It looks like it is a stock cam and has a GM 132 or 122 cast into it. The block smoothly rotates overand neither the pistons nor the walls look to be in bad condition. The cam bearings are in pretty good shape. The cam that came out is in great shape also considering it's age. Doesn't look like the bearings are bad at all.

The 305 block runs, leaks like a sieve and needs to be rebuilt.

The 350 block is an unknown but came out of a 79 z28 that this guy was using as a parts vehicle.

My goal is to use this vehicle as a daily driver for my wife , myself and to move my son around in. Tops I'm looking at maybe getting 350hp. I know this is achievable with all 3 engines easily.

Now my problem is that I have an extremely limited amount of money that is basically equal to whatever I can sell my chevelle body for.

The transmission is in good shape and is a turbo 350. Converter I am taking is stock and I think the rear gears are 3.42.

I can reuse either the 305 intake or the stock 327 intake I have which is cast number 3919803. Same with the carb and the distributor. I'm guessing both should be usuable with any engine.

What are your guys opinions as to which would be the cheapest and provide the most reliable option? To sell the chevelle and use the money to fix either the 327 or the 350. Or I can sell the chevelle and the 327 block and maybe have enough for a short block from parts america and stick the 305 heads on it :/ Or see if there is a crate or a longblock around 1000$ if I get lucky on selling the stuff above.

Would highly value your guys opinions on this matter :/

Eric

Advertisement

Last edited by esears; 09-30-2003 at 08:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2003, 08:28 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

My 2 cents...

Wait to see what the 350 is like. If it's a dog, that narrows your options. If it's decent, you can get a rebuild kit from Summit for about $200 and hope you won't need any major machining.
Sounds like the 305 has head/gasket problems. I'd drive/nurse it til it drops while you rebuild the 327 or the 350.
Old 10-01-2003, 05:32 AM
Returning American Maddman

Last photo:

Keep it running until you decide is first thing. On thast 305, are you sure it's piston rings. Do a compression test.
IMHO, most SBC can be saved by changing timing chain and valve guide seals. I have seen this done more than once. I did it in my 78 Malibu wagon and it brought that puppy back to life. Changed the water pump and alt, which you could use on any SBC. Keep it running, then pick which one you want to do.
Old 10-01-2003, 06:31 AM

Last photo:

Hi Madd,
Hope you don't mind me jumping the thread but does that mean that the short and long pumps are inter changeable or just the alt's?

Hellz
Old 08-29-2005, 07:34 PM

price wise 350 will be least expensive to rebuild ,because those parts are sold more often .depending on gears you have in rear end 305 would give good or probably best milage altho 350 wont have to work as hard and may come close iff a lot of stop and go driveing
Old 08-29-2005, 08:02 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

if the 350 needs rebuilt, there's good finds on ebay, I searched for- Chevy 350 rebuild kit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PBM-M...spagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SB-CH...spagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY...spagenameZWDVW
Old 08-30-2005, 08:28 AM
its not my fault

Last photo:

the 350 is a joy. they get the job done. i was not impressed by the 305. the 327 had a great cam 327/350hp. the cam made it sound good, but it still didnt do what the 350 could.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:16 AM

Last photo:

I would hope he would have done something by now. The first post was Sept. 2003.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.