Really Frustrated! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2004, 04:03 PM
Tomorrow Will Be a Better Day

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Really Frustrated!

I finished putting my car together in December, had it inspected, bought the license plates and started driving it. Iíve now got just over 300 miles on it and nothing has broken, fallen off or left me stranded. When I start it, I do exactly what BDS said to do. I give it a couple pumps, crank it up, bring it up to about 1500 rpms for about 2 minutes and then it idles just fine. It doesnít smoke, burn oil, leak oil, make strange noises, over heat, shimmy, shake, rattle or roll. When I mash the throttle it goes without hesitation. All of the accessories work and I donít blow fuses.

[CAUTION: Severe sarcasm to follow!]

What am I doing wrong?

If I want it to over heat, can I buy a smaller radiator? Or maybe remove the shroud to make the fan more inefficient? If I want it to knock, can I just advance the timing a few more degrees? If I want it to leak oil, can I do this with out having to pull something loose first or can I damage the gaskets some other way? Iíve heard I can get the plugs to foul if I fiddle with my idle mixture screws. Can someone explain how I do this? Any ideas here? I need something to go wrong so I can have experiences to discuss. How am I going to learn if nothing breaks or goes wrong?

[End of sarcasm]

I do have a real question. How do you get the discipline to finish a project? I found that since I got it to the point of being drivable, thatís all I want to do. Drive. If I head to the garage to get some work done, I have to start it up just to hear it run. And since itís running already, might as well take it out for a spin. Well I better go; I can hear the í32 calling my name. Later.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2004, 04:18 PM
Proficient Motorsports - Owner

Last journal entry: The Trucks Redemption
Last photo:

Well if there's nothing wrong might as well drive it. as far as discipline goes, get some real good ideas going and get some inspiration and you'll be in the garage working on the car. It always helps me when i have something that i think would be cool to put or improve on my car. if you want experiences just wreck it once and rebuild it. happened to me and it pissed me off. Id rather not have any problems then have some.
Old 02-28-2004, 04:26 PM

Last photo:

Thats why so many primered cars back in the day, its hard to work on em when they are going down the street! A real Hot Rod is never done.
Old 02-29-2004, 01:14 AM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

Hey 32. glad you got it on the road. i hope i'll be able to make one of these sarcastic posts in a month or two myself.

and no, it runs, but isn't close to being finished.
Old 02-29-2004, 04:09 AM

Last edited by Gen3_with_455; 07-19-2004 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-29-2004, 06:46 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Back in the old days, there was not a second car, so the "rod" was the daily driver, grocery getter, Sunday go to meetin' wheels. Sort of like one set of jeans to wear all week and a Sunday go to mettin' suit. We did not have much and most of us were in the same boat. Many nights and week ends were spent just keeping the "rod " going and an ocasional improvement. Today, many rodders not only have their daily driver, so does the wife and son and daughter, there are lots of clothes hanging in all the closets and most of our nights and week ends are spent keeping all the daily drivers going. Now it is priority time for you. Either drive it until something breaks, or roll it into the garage, put it on jackstands, stack the wheels in a storage building on the other side of town and give the key to the wife. Now you can focus on finishing the rod.

Trees
Old 02-29-2004, 07:35 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Besides, they say a project is never done......you just keep on improving..

So what if it takes a while....might as well enjoy it.

BTW, I have the same problem.............
Old 02-29-2004, 08:45 AM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last journal entry: Running boards (part DUEX)
Last photo:

32 Vicky, sorry to hear about your problem but as I always say, "Sometimes accidents just happen." Just enjoy it and make the best of a good situation. It'll be worse the next time, I promise. As far as your driving it and not working on it problem. I'll let you in on a little secret. Mine dosent' run yet (on purpose) I could get it there but then I'd be in your situation. So for now I push it in and out of the garage and dream. (you have to push it outside so the car guys who drive by can see the progress your making on it) ( I also push it outside cause there is more room to work on it out there) However spring is coming and as soon as I get the brake lines and gas line in you know what's gonna happen don't you? Turn key, pump gas, whirrrrr, whirrrrr, whirrrr, VVVVRRRROOOOMMMMM!!!!!! Vrooooom! ZOOM, ZOOM, ZOOM... Then my car won't get done and it will be all your fault.
Old 02-29-2004, 06:01 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

All I have to say is, let my wife drive it once. GUARANTEED she'll break something on it!
Old 03-01-2004, 12:02 PM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

A friend who has built 11 rods told me this:

"When you build a hot rod, you are going to run into periods where you want to shelve the @&#&$! You need to rip it apart, and get the running gear together. Put it back together enough to get down the street. Take it for a blast, come in and start tearing it apart again. Do your next phase and put it back together enough for another blast. Rip er apart again and again until you got her 100%. That way you don't get burned out and lose interest."

Sounds like you talked to my buddy !! Congrats and enjoy !
Old 03-01-2004, 03:21 PM

Last photo:

I took Beenaway2long's advice and have been working on getting a running drivetrain in my Mustang coupe. It ran on the 6 cyl when I bought it last year, but ever since I put the 351 in, I've been stuggling to get it to MOVE and stay moving.

As soon as I get to drive it down the street, I'll know then where to go from there. I will either finish it on that body, or find a fastback and do a full transplant of everything that will carry over. But I'm stuck on step one in making sure that it will move when I transplant.

"Ok Igor, throw the switch again. Let's watch for some movement this time."

We'll get there.

MoocH
Old 03-01-2004, 07:13 PM
Distracted by shiny objects

Last photo:

Gee, that's..ummm...a real predicament you've got there 32... Whacha gonna do about it? Hmmmm, maybe you should....no....that won't work....maybe if you.....no....that won't work either.....
Oh Dam, just drive the thing and have fun.

I am sooooooo jealous.....

Chickie.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:43 PM

Last photo:

Well, I think I may have a solution. I just bought a different blower pulley to crank up the boost a little more. That should help to push out a gasket or possibly something more substantial out the bottom. After all, one can never have too much horsepower.

I had considered Trees idea of putting it back up on the jack stands and pulling the wheels. But I hadn't thought about storing the wheels across town, that just might be what it takes to get me wrenching instead of driving.

Later
Old 03-16-2004, 05:11 PM

Last photo:

OK, now I really did it. I got the new blower pulley installed that makes 2 more lbs. of boost. It fired right up. After letting it warm up, I noticed that it sounded even better at idle. I took it out for a spin and it makes more power than before. So...15 minutes of time to swap the pulley resulted in more than an hour to do my test drive. I didn't break anything, cause any leaks or push out any gaskets.

Still more interest in driving versus working on it.

So now I'm thinking I should toy with other ways to make more power. How about some nitro? Or maybe a shot of nitrous? It's only a 350, so it shouldn't be this hard to break.

Old 03-16-2004, 07:09 PM
Proficient Motorsports - Owner

Last journal entry: The Trucks Redemption
Last photo:

I would take it as a compliment if it didnt break easy, that means you did well building the enigne.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.