Hot Rod Forum banner

REALLY high pitched noise from drivers side brake

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  spacechimp 
#1 ·
70 monte.
the brakes and rotors are pretty new. I drive the car for a few miles THEN i start to hear a HIGH pitch noise coming from the drivers side front brake.
like the end of a metal hanger lightly dragging on a rotor or something.
i just lightly touch the brake pedal and it disappears.
I've taken the brakes apart twice to try to find out what the hell that annoying noise is and there's nothing wrong..pads and rotor look just fine.

anybody else had this issue?

#2 ·
You have to take them apart again you are missing something.
You have a stone or something rubbing on your rotor.
Also check to make sure that you haven't accidentally bent
the warning tab on the pad. I usually remove the tab
myself and keep an eye on the brake wear. If you can't
find anything remove the tab and see if that does the trick.

#3 ·
Did your new pads come with a little packet of gell called "squeal stopper"?? It gets smeared on the back sides of the pads to prevent them vibrating in the caliper. Some cheaper pad set don't have this and you have to ask for it.

Also, did you know that you have to bend the end or side metal backer lugs on the outer pad so that the non-floating pad is a tight fit to the caliper. Support the steel backing on edge and tap them with a hammer, then install into the caliper until they fit tight so they dont vibrate. A lot of proffessional mechanics don't even know this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.