Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - This really an inverted dome piston?
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 03:05 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
I don't know how much boost pressure you plan on running, but the trend for turbo engines is to reduce quench. Its part of the reason those type of pistons are making a comeback.

Not saying that one is better than the other, but that is the current trend for high boost engines.
So your NOT saying one is better than the other for a mild boost application? Just that seems to be the trend huh.. Its interesting..

The tech guy for MAHLE said close to the same thing. He said its not going to make a bit of difference switching to a D cup from the full circle. Not with my compression anyways. Sais not to worry about quench for a street engine and listed some factory performance vehicles with over .080 piston to deck + head gasket.

I'm trying to build the bottom end to handle 100-150 shot of juice or some boost. As of now the reason for the deep dish is my small chambered heads and wanting to keep compression lower for my TRUCK.

I just figured running 9.4:1 on low grade is like running 10.5:1 on premium. Thought the quench pad would help with resisting detonation but others say the full circle will actually be better because there are no hot spots. Anyways from the start of this build ive had my mind set on some inverted dome D DISH pistons. That's what im going to stick with.
Later when I boost it I can go to a thicker head gasket if I need to reduce quench I s'pose.
For now im shooting for .036-.038 head gasket with 0" deck height.