Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   This really an inverted dome piston? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/really-inverted-dome-piston-231651.html)

0trbo4myCHEVUICK 04-08-2013 10:07 PM

This really an inverted dome piston?

5 Attachment(s)
Got my MAHLE powerpaks in today. Advertised as an inverted dome.. Looks more like a full circle dish to me. Sure doesent look much like a squish pad, any thoughts?

techinspector1 04-08-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0trbo4myCHEVUICK (Post 1664439)
Got my MAHLE powerpaks in today. Advertised as an inverted dome.. Looks more like a full circle dish to me. Sure doesent look much like a squish pad, any thoughts?

Personally, I wouldn't use 'em.

0trbo4myCHEVUICK 04-08-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by techinspector1 (Post 1664459)
Personally, I wouldn't use 'em.

Full circle right? The part number is for a mahle inverted dome. -_-
I even called pre-purchase to make sure I was getting a D dish piston..
Guess that's just how the deep dish pistons are.
Anyone have real life pictures of some other brands of inverted dome forged units? Pictures on the net are hardly accurate.

techinspector1 04-09-2013 12:58 AM

I don't know how much dish you need or even what motor you need 'em for, but here's an example of a KB for a 350 that has a 28cc dish and it's still a D-cup with a generous flat area to create squish.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ue...make/chevrolet

Mr. P-Body 04-09-2013 07:18 AM

In recent years, the term "inverted dome" has been used in place of "dish". While it may IMPLY a chamber-shaped dish, it isn't always "so". But hey, it sure sounds a lot cooler than "dish", don't you think? So do piston makers...

Knowing what engine these pistons fit would be a big help in telling you whether or not they're "good" for your application. If you're not "pressing the edge" of compression for the octane used, the "simple" dish is fine. The quench pads come into serious "play" when you're near the limit.

Jim

0trbo4myCHEVUICK 04-09-2013 08:48 AM

383 with 59cc vortec heads. If im paying over 600$ for pistons, I want exactly what i want. Especially when I call ahead to make sure they have a squish pad. Im returning them.

0trbo4myCHEVUICK 04-09-2013 10:14 AM

Looks like finding a forged unit with a squish pad in the +26ccish range is about impossible. They all seem to be 2valve relief style. lames.

camaroman7d 04-09-2013 10:28 AM

Check Wiseco Pro-tru forged pistons. That's what I have in my 388. I'll post a few pictures in a minute. Also just like cylinder heads the cc's are not exact. I would have to look at my notes, but hen I cc'd the dish it was actually a bit larger than advertised.

camaroman7d 04-09-2013 10:39 AM

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...psd73d6662.jpg[/IMG]

camaroman7d 04-09-2013 10:45 AM

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wi...make/chevrolet

techinspector1 04-09-2013 11:39 AM

Maybe call up SRP and ask specifically about a flat squish pad? Their 148750 looks like a candidate. Maybe a little large. Makes 9.0:1 with a 58cc head.
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY - 350 / 400 INVERTED DOME - JE Pistons

0trbo4myCHEVUICK 04-09-2013 12:13 PM

Thx guys. I have been looking at the 31cc srp's, just don't know if I really want to drop compression another .5.
I do like the wiseco pistons a lot! I couldn't find those when I was searching. They are right up my alley for sure. I wonder if I can get them for a 5.7" rod?

I also talked to MAHLE. Turns out they sent me the wrong style piston. (they make 2 styles under the same part number, a full circle, and a D dish.)

Hopefully ill have the pistons switched out with not much trouble or time.

0trbo4myCHEVUICK 04-09-2013 12:16 PM

Nice 388, Camaro man. Those pistons are sweet and are the ones I would have chosen had I found them for a 5.7 rod

ap72 04-09-2013 02:07 PM

I don't know how much boost pressure you plan on running, but the trend for turbo engines is to reduce quench. Its part of the reason those type of pistons are making a comeback.

Not saying that one is better than the other, but that is the current trend for high boost engines.

0trbo4myCHEVUICK 04-09-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ap72 (Post 1664633)
I don't know how much boost pressure you plan on running, but the trend for turbo engines is to reduce quench. Its part of the reason those type of pistons are making a comeback.

Not saying that one is better than the other, but that is the current trend for high boost engines.

So your NOT saying one is better than the other for a mild boost application? Just that seems to be the trend huh.. Its interesting..

The tech guy for MAHLE said close to the same thing. He said its not going to make a bit of difference switching to a D cup from the full circle. Not with my compression anyways. Sais not to worry about quench for a street engine and listed some factory performance vehicles with over .080 piston to deck + head gasket.

I'm trying to build the bottom end to handle 100-150 shot of juice or some boost. As of now the reason for the deep dish is my small chambered heads and wanting to keep compression lower for my TRUCK.

I just figured running 9.4:1 on low grade is like running 10.5:1 on premium. Thought the quench pad would help with resisting detonation but others say the full circle will actually be better because there are no hot spots. Anyways from the start of this build ive had my mind set on some inverted dome D DISH pistons. That's what im going to stick with.
Later when I boost it I can go to a thicker head gasket if I need to reduce quench I s'pose.
For now im shooting for .036-.038 head gasket with 0" deck height.