This really sucks, another foulded plug - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2006, 07:00 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

This really sucks, another foulded plug

Well, just totally oil foulded another plug on my new engine. Same cylinder,,,,#2. This one lasted about 4000 miles before it began mis-firing. These are double platinum and the correct range. All the rest (checked em) were fine and clean. #2 is sucking oil from somewhere to the tune of a quart every 400 to 500 miles.

I've talked to the machine shop 3 times now and they don't have a solid answer, understandably so. All the work they did was top notch and i've used them many times in the past with no problems.

One thing came to mind on this. When they were doing all the machine work, I spotted a used Performer intake in their shop and offered to buy it. It had some serious rot around the water passages and they had welded it up. He told me he would mill it and get it blasted and vatted again and it was mine. He now thinks that its possible that it was milled a few degrees off and #2 is sucking oil past the lower part of the intake to head area. Guess my next step is to pull the intake and check the print on the gasket. If its good, next thing is to pull the VC and the rockers and retainers and springs and ck the seals and for any slop in the stems. Seals were the positive seal type. Engine does NOT blow any smoke on startup, or under heavy acceleration. Even did it at night while watching in the mirror with headlights not far behind and saw nothing! Crap! Not what I expected from a $2000 engine!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2006, 08:22 PM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

Like you said check the intake gasket for sealing and the valve seals and maybe there is an oil ring on upside down or the rings might be on the wrong ring land.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:44 PM

Last photo:

I really hope it's the intake gasket cause i'm sure not in any mood to pull the engine down right now! LOL
Old 10-12-2006, 11:26 PM
Known traffic menace

I had a Torker intake that leaked like that. Couldn't figure out where my oil was going and thats what it turned out to be. Perry.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:07 AM
floppers forever

[QUOTE=Jmark]
One thing came to mind on this. When they were doing all the machine work, I spotted a used Performer intake in their shop and offered to buy it. It had some serious rot around the water passages and they had welded it up. He told me he would mill it and get it blasted and vatted again and it was mine. He now thinks that its possible that it was milled a few degrees off and #2 is sucking oil past the lower part of the intake to head area.

they should know how to resurface an intake.
pull the intake and check there work,if they can't resurface an intake correctly i would be affraid to know how the rest of the engine checks out.the intake should be set up using a dial indicator run acrossed the lenght of the intake to get it level end to end then front to back to make sure you take off the same all the way acrossed.if you find this to be there fault i would make them fix it and give new intake gaskets also,that is if it's found to be there machining incorrectly.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:37 PM

Last photo:

Well, the intake was a freebie so I can't really complain much. They were doing my sons 400 and my 350 and both turned out very good. The have a good rep and Paul is probably one of the most picky and meticulus (sp?) machinists i've delt with.

Anyways,, i'm also chasing an odd stumble or miss that happens only on a light tap of the throttle from idle. It will miss 2 times usually and then take off fine. I had it at a friends shop this morning on the old Sun scope and all elect. showed fine. No sec. breakdown and wires and plugs were fine. So in putting that weird miss together with the trashed plug on #2 and high oil usage, we're now, more than before, leaning towards the leaking intake gasket. That would make for a lean misfire in #2 that doesn't show on the scope. Also, before taking it up to him yesterday, I cleaned the engine spotless and after driving about 80 miles today, there is now oil around the intake bolt next to the #2 intake runner. All things seem to be pointing to intake so tomorrow that may be my project. I"ve got 2 big entertainment centers lined up to build so my time is short to either fix it quick or keep running it and chance burning that piston if the leak gets any worse and it leans out too far.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:59 PM
floppers forever

do you have another intake to try?that would be what i would do.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:46 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

a off idle stumble is a tell tale sign of a leaking intake. Years ago I had a performer intake that was severely warped unknown to me, I kept chasing a bad off idle stumble for a long time, was really going nuts trying to figure out what the problem was. Finally I suspected the intake and removed it, took it to the machine shop and they checked it out and found it to be warped, so he milled it .010 and it was still warped, he whacked it another .020 and it was still warped, so we threw it away. I replaced it with a Stealth and the problem vanished. I also learned during that time don`t use Fel Pro gaskets, the solid blue fel pro gaskets are for cast iron intakes and won`t crush with a light aluminum intake.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:04 PM
floppers forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleVision
I also learned during that time don`t use Fel Pro gaskets, the solid blue fel pro gaskets are for cast iron intakes and won`t crush with a light aluminum intake.
what?
never herd that before.
http://store.racerspartswarehouse.com/fel1204.html
read this
Old 10-13-2006, 06:35 PM

Last photo:

Well, the saga continues. I got a wild hair and decided to pull the intake, took about 30 minutes, hoping to find a really bad intake gasket. No such luck! It had a pretty good print but not that great. What I did find was EVERY runner and EVERY intake valve was covered in oil, as was the entire intake inside all the way up to where the carb sits! This PCV system is sucking oil by the bucket loads! I have the tall Proform covers. Needed those for the roller rockers. Apparently the baffle in these covers sucks! It's sucking oil like crazy.

I took the intake and gasket to the machine shop and Paul thought the gasket had a good enough print for that not to be the problem but was AMAZED at how much oil was inside all the runners. We could literally run our finger down each runner and pull up a drip of oil. We also noticed a big rotted out spot in the intake from water eating it up so I stopped at Checker and picked up a new Performer and Felpro 1256 HP gaskets, as per Pauls suggestion. So tomorrow is "put it all back together day" and then try to figure out a good way to run the PCV and see it that changes anything. Since the PCV dumps right next to #2 runner, that may be why that plug is not lasting. Time will tell. I'm going to 86 the PCV valve completely and run a temporary hose out the bottom and see how the plug does over the next few weeks.

Here are some pics of the intake valves....covered in oil crap and deposits. All 8 are the same, just coated in crap from all the sucking oil. Kinda makes me sick to see it on just 14,000 miles! Oh well. Only other option is to dump the valve covers and go back to standard rockers and stock covers. Not what I have in mind right now.

Old 10-14-2006, 10:53 AM

Last photo:

Well, then new intake is on and running fine. Still not sure on the oil problem yet but just glad to have it back on the road.

Did find the reluctor wheel stuck in the dist AGAIN. When it did advance mechanically, it would stick there and stay. This is the 4th time in 2 years its done this.

I'm going to run it for a while and see how the plug does. If it starts to get coated again, i'll take the PCV valve out and just make a road draft tube and see it that cures the problem.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:24 PM

Last photo:

Crap!! the rear seal on the intake is now leaking like crazy! Got to pull it all apart AGAIN!! Just not my week I guess.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.