Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - reaming quadrajet idel ports ?
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 09:47 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

my idle

when i got the truck the choke always stayed slightly open, and when i rebuilt it it didnt want to idle until it was warm. so in desperation i junked it and used my carter my uncle gave me, and the truck runs fine now

i have the afr meter on it and it wont idle because its off the charts lean, someone said to drill out the mix screws and i did( very tiny afr change )then someone said u can cut down the needles, so i cut down the needles with my lathe and that still didnt make much of a difference. the idle is like 16.5-17.5 afr and idles like a dieing cat anything past 1200 rpm its nice but 1000 and down its horrible. someone said i need to ream out the ( port plugs ) in the idle circuit. my quadrajet book vaguely talks about it, it shows a guy using a 6 inch ream thats very tiny

but idk if thats the issue or if the jets are wrong, its a 7045583CHEV & GMC Truck, 75-77 Calif.73427029862CP2.79993.6545

carb and has 73 jets/41b needles and the piston spring feels like my 9 inch springs for the eddy carbs

i cant say for sure but it seems like these arent correct