Rear air shocks - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2010, 10:56 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rear air shocks

I am running rear air shock on my 68 chevelle to get some height, I always felt the rear on those chevelle sat to low and easily bottoms out. Is there any down falls in have air shocks in the rear? Does it cause hopping on tight turns, do to the stiffness?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2010, 11:11 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,078 Times in 961 Posts
This is the problem with air shocks, the shock mounts weren't designed to hold the car up! So breakage is VERY common when running them. Get yourself new springs to solve the problem correctly.

Brian
Old 11-29-2010, 08:38 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

I have to disagree with Brian on this one simply because I think it depends on the car. Back in the day (late 60's-early 70's) I ran air shocks on my 68 Torino, 69 Roadrunner, and even put them on my 74 Charger and never had a problem. That said, I never pumped them all the way up...just enough pressure to gain a couple inches and get the stance right.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"It will never have enough power until I can spin the wheels at the end of the straightaway in high gear" Mark Donohue
Old 11-29-2010, 09:23 AM

Last journal entry: Wheels and Exhaust.
Last photo:

Air shocks are more commonly know for inflicting damage to Unibody Cars, but certainly have been known to do some damage to the Framed ones as well. The absolute best way to correct a sagging rear is to get new springs. If you don't like the factory stance - the solution is the same, just bump up to wagon springs from a like model or some after-market springs made just for raising the rear.

With that said, air shocks have there place for an inexpensive fix and lend some adjust-ability. Just don't pump them up alot and drive like mad across the tracks.

As far as handling goes, if your concerned about losing control while aggressively taking corners, I have to ask if your car is set up with any suspension mods that would improve it's race-ability anyhow? Old muscles cars where not known for there cornering and air shocks will stiffen things up a little, but there are better solutions. A stiffer suspension could actually start sliding before one that rolls, but the timing, repeatability, and control of the slide will be more predictable.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:45 AM

Last photo:

I agree and disagree here. Air shocks were designed for vehicles that primarily towed things like a boat, trailer etc. With the additional weight load, you could add air to the shocks to level out the ride. I've never heard of anyone ruining a suspension due to breakage from air shocks. If you pump the shocks full then yes your going to get a rough ride and the bounce around corners. If you simply want to raise the rear a bit, air shocks will work fine. If your springs in the rear are bad, the wise way would be to replace the springs and just run normal shocks. The main problem with air shocks is the air lines. Keep them away from hot items like exhaust. You puncture the line and your Chevelle will be really sitting low!
Old 11-29-2010, 01:28 PM
More for Less Racer

From a street/strip perspective, airshocks are the worst thing you can do as far as helping traction. They are more air than shock, have poor damping ability and can increase wheel hop on launch to the point of breaking things from shake(suspension arms, bushings, axles, ringand pinion gears, driveshaft, trans case). They are pretty much the worst thing to use.

AirLift air bags inside the existing springs along with good shocks, or new springs and shocks would be a much better solution. New springs don't cost any more than airshocks, so might as well do it the right way.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:31 PM

Last photo:

If you want to do it "A-Number One Right" then do it like Brian says. Nothing beats a well tuned suspension including springs, shocks, bushings and sway bar. Station wagon springs for the same car would probably do the trick. If you go too high you may cause problems in your pinion shaft to drive shaft angel. It is a full frame car so air shocks are not that bad of an idea if you are on a budget and you don't plan on jacking the car up more than an inch or so. They are intended for use as an assist when a car is towing extra weight. But like it has already been stated they don't do that good of a job in the dampening department and if you put too much air in them it will make your car hop around. I like bags as a total replacement for the coil springs (true air ride) but don't confuse this type with the type that go inside the coil spring. I'm not fond of the type that go in the coil spring because I have seen the coil rub a hole in them.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:33 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

I have ran them years ago but not anymore if you don't have alot of cash then i can understand someone running them unless they just like them that is. But if you do run them i hope your tires don't stick out to far. If it were me i would invest in some new springs thats the best thing to do as already stated .JMO

Cole
Old 11-29-2010, 04:54 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

imo- lower the front to get the "stance" correct,not raise the rear
buuut thats just my two cents

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.