Hot Rod Forum banner

Rear axle for AD truck

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  solidaxel 
#1 ·
Hi Guy's,

I am building a rod along the same lines as Centreline. He recommended using a '78 Camaro rear axle. I have the chance of buying one from a '73 Firebird Bullnose. Are they at all similar or should i avoid it?

We are not exactly spoilt for choice in the UK.

#2 ·
As far as I know all the Firebird and Camaro rears of the 70s vintage should be the same width and have the same spring perches. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Centerline

#8 ·
Darren, Did you get that rear from the camaro. I used one from a 75 and I had to remove all of the hardware that was welded to the axle and place new spring pads for the narrow spring in my 55 1st series, but if you are changing the springs and hangers it should fit. The width is correct but as mentioned a nova or Monte Carlo is 1 to 2 " narrower.

Attachments

#11 ·
Hi Solidaxel,
I am using the TH350 that came from my old C10. Just got a Camaro backend today, plus dropped spindles and an Impala steering column in exchange for truck bits i don't need. Will order Mustang ll front crossmember soon.

Cheers, Darren. :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.