Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Rear Axle Bump Stops
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 02:09 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

OK, I need to understand a few things...(sorry Sedanbob" but, this has been bugging me all night)...As I mentioned earlier in a post on this thread, I had a similar problem on a 37 Chevy I did a few years ago. Well I went and dug through some old records I had (I can't believe I found them as I had a fire about 4 years ago and a bunch of stuff got lost in the blaze) and I was running just over 5 inches of clearance between the axle and frame and still required to do more frame mods to resolve the bottoming out effect and get the full use of my suspension travel. Now, this is the last pre-war Rod that I did the complete design and build and I finished in 1999. It ran a Ford 9", with a 4 link rear.

I hope this question doesn't sound outlandish but, has suspension technology improved and changed that much for the 30's Rods in 1 and 1/2 decades or am I missing something. I am trying to understand how 3 1/2 inches of clearance less a 2 inch bump stop is going to do anything but bottom out?

Very seriously I would love to understand this.

Ray