Hot Rod Forum banner

Rear Axle Bump Stops

21K views 59 replies 9 participants last post by  sedanbob 
#1 ·
I need to add bump stops to the rear axle of my sedan. I have a Pete & Jakes chassis with a Ford 9 inch rear on parallel 4-bar/panhard bar setup with coilovers. I purchased a pair of the Energy Suspension polyurethane bump stops. They are about 1 1/2" in diameter and about 2" tall. They seem to be as hard as a rock! Is there a softer bump stop? It seems like these wouldn't be much different than steel on steel.

Attachments

See less See more
#55 ·
Big Mike, Thanks for the offer. I can't get to the scales right now. When I can, I'll get the corner weights and measure the height, and angle of the coilover mounts. The vast majority of the time the ride is great and I'm not bottoming out. The only time that I might have, I was doing 70 on the interstate and hit a spot where the Illinois highway department dug out an expansion joint, left a 3-4" deep ditch the width of the lane (about 2 foot long), and didn't bother to mark it! I hit it hard. That's what got me thinking about the bump stops.

#56 ·
BumpStops

I installed the same stops on my frame (SRPM prostreet for a 1937 Plymouth) and like you, am not reassured by their presence. Another thread mentioned a progressive stop would be good. Maybe an answer to all our concerns would be stops I saw on an off-road vehicle which consisted of a rubber tipped shaft that disappeared into a nitrogen charged cylinder. I haven't investigated this yet, but if it was feasible, it seemed also to be something that could be home built.

#58 ·
Thanks for the input. I haven't installed the new bumpstops yet - getting ready for my upholsterer, so I don't want to pull everything apart so I can get in there to drill and tap the frame rails. I'll have plenty of time after I get it back. The rubber snubbers are about the same consistency as the bump stops I got from Pete and Jakes - I think they'll work fine. I have seen stackable bumpstops of varying hardness that go on the shock inside the coilover - they require taking the coilover apart to adjust. They are used in some road racing applications.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.