Rear axle to firebird with chevy stroked 383 500hk with th350?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2009, 03:57 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Rear axle to firebird with chevy stroked 383 500hk with th350??

Hello!
I have a firebird -67 and just got my stroked prostreet chevy 383 engine on 467hk @ 6000rpm and 670nm @ 4500rpm home and I also are going to run a renovated th350.

I'm about to order a converter from coan racing and need to already have to decide which rear axel and what ratio I'm going to use. I haven't give it a tought yet. From what car doesn't matter, if fords rear axle is cheaper and better I drive with one!

So what are the cheapest and best alternative to my car (it have to be diffed ofc)?

The use of the car is dominant on the streets, to have fun with. Maybe some race on the streets sometimes.

Thanks
Stefan

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2009, 11:55 PM
High Performance Rear Ends

Last photo:

The '67 Firebird has the 8.2 BOP 10 bolt rear end. This is a pretty good rear end. It's stronger than thee Chevy 8.2 10 bolt. The BOP has a 27 spline pinion where the Chevy has a 25 spline pinion. The BOP uses pressed on axle bearings with retainer plates to hold the axles in and the Chevy uses c clips. The OEM limited slip differential (posi) in the BOP rear end was a Borg Warner unit with 4 pinion gears. This was also stronger than the Eaton that was used in the Chevy. You can get parts for this rear end, although they are a little more expensive than the Chevy parts.

You can get a new Moser 12 bolt that's a complete bolt in and stronger than any rear end that Chevy used in any of their production cars. These start at about $1900 plus shipping. You can order them with the gear ratio that you want and there are several other options available.

You can build a 9 inch Ford, 8.5 GM, 8.8 Ford or several other rear ends for the Firebird. It's not too difficult with the leaf springs. If you can find a 8.5 from a '72 or later Nova or other X body car it will be a bolt in for the Firebird. The '67 to '69 Camaro rear ends will also bolt in. The 8.5 10 bolt isn't great in stock form, but can be built much stronger with a new 30 spline Eaton Posi and a set of 30 spline Moser axles. There are a few other modifications that need to be made if this will be a serious drag car.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head
The '67 Firebird has the 8.2 BOP 10 bolt rear end. This is a pretty good rear end. It's stronger than thee Chevy 8.2 10 bolt. The BOP has a 27 spline pinion where the Chevy has a 25 spline pinion. The BOP uses pressed on axle bearings with retainer plates to hold the axles in and the Chevy uses c clips. The OEM limited slip differential (posi) in the BOP rear end was a Borg Warner unit with 4 pinion gears. This was also stronger than the Eaton that was used in the Chevy. You can get parts for this rear end, although they are a little more expensive than the Chevy parts.

You can get a new Moser 12 bolt that's a complete bolt in and stronger than any rear end that Chevy used in any of their production cars. These start at about $1900 plus shipping. You can order them with the gear ratio that you want and there are several other options available.

You can build a 9 inch Ford, 8.5 GM, 8.8 Ford or several other rear ends for the Firebird. It's not too difficult with the leaf springs. If you can find a 8.5 from a '72 or later Nova or other X body car it will be a bolt in for the Firebird. The '67 to '69 Camaro rear ends will also bolt in. The 8.5 10 bolt isn't great in stock form, but can be built much stronger with a new 30 spline Eaton Posi and a set of 30 spline Moser axles. There are a few other modifications that need to be made if this will be a serious drag car.

You are golden! Thank you for taking the time and for the information, exactly what I wanted to know! Live in sweden so 1900 for a new rear end plus taxes plus shipping will get to expensive for me and the prices in sweden is even more expensive, but now I know what a new one cost and don't need to think of that alternative any more!

About the rear end in my firebird, is it the same in everyone and just the ratio which vary? There was a 326 with "pg" original. You think that I can use my original rear end? What I need to do in that case and where can I buy the stuffs?

Thanks!
Old 11-27-2009, 01:18 PM

Which ratio is optimal for me? As I write my primarly use is on the streets and wan't to have fun with it and maybe drive some unserious street races sometimes.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:00 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

I would go with 3.73 or 3.42 JMO. I am running 3.73 in my 67 camaro with the 8.5 rearend and it does just fine for me mostly on the street too. I am running a 408 engine also and 26 inch tall tires if any of this helps you decide.

Cole
Old 11-27-2009, 02:07 PM

ok, thanks!
Old 11-27-2009, 04:11 PM
High Performance Rear Ends

Last photo:

All of the early Firebirds used the same rear end, with a 6 cylinder or a ram air 400. This rear end can be built strong enough to handle your engine with the type of driving that you want to do. I recommend a new Eaton Posi and a good installation kit with Timken bearings and the super shim set. As for the gear ratio, a 3.36 will be good if you drive on the highway. If you only stay in town then a 3.73 would be all right, but the RPMs are going to be pretty high if you get on the highway much.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:28 PM

Ok thanks! That it will be!
Don't know if what much highway driving is to you, you will probably laugh of our distances in sweden. Usually i drive maybe 10-15min highway and max 4h one time at year. Besides that I just drive in town! So 3.73 will probably be fine.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:19 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berres
Ok thanks! That it will be!
Don't know if what much highway driving is to you, you will probably laugh of our distances in sweden. Usually i drive maybe 10-15min highway and max 4h one time at year. Besides that I just drive in town! So 3.73 will probably be fine.
I drive mine alot more than that and i can say the 3.73 will be just fine.IMO. Do you know what size tire you will be running yet just curious .

Cole
Old 11-29-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloc431962
I drive mine alot more than that and i can say the 3.73 will be just fine.IMO. Do you know what size tire you will be running yet just curious .

Cole
thanks, 3.73 it will be!
No, but the tires I drive with now is over so have decide what to run with soon. But it's not season here in sweden where I live until about may and don't have that much money at the moment so I probably wait some months.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.